VW RCD500 from Golf into my Passat?

Bought an RCD500 off ebay recently, which had been in a 57-plate Golf. Fitted it to my 56-plate Passat which had had the same model radio in it (but packed up recently).

Everything worked except no sound through the speakers. The only difference between the units was the Golf one is a Blaupunkt unit, my original one was Panasonic.

When I took the car to the VW dealer, they said that the unit was incompatible with my car and that they had tried to code it to the new recipient.

Is this b******* ? I'd have thought that recoding would have made it work. Any help would be much appreciated. It strikes me that they don't want it to work as they did not supply the unit.

Cheers,

Chris

Just wondering what to do next. This little venture cost £46 in money to VW. VW customer services won't confirm whether it will fit, but did say it would need coding. Another dealer seemed to think that it would work without coding. Another one seemed to think there was a difference in the pins on the back (not the case, I checked).

Bloody useless muppets. Anyone near to York with VAGCOM?!

I don't see why any coding is needed or why the connections on the back would be different. Infact I don't believe for a second that the connections in the quadlock (the bog connector) will be different.

Do you know for a fact that the new RCD500 works and that your speakers do too?