Engine noise 330i Msport

Mastertech

I have recently purchased an 08 registered 330i Msport from a dealer, it has just over 7k miles on the clock and I was really quite pleased with it until this morning. Having driven about 2 miles from cold the engine suddenly started tapping. There was no misfire but it sounded like a stuck tappet and the noise increased in frequency along with engine speed. I turned the engine off and called BMW assist but the tapping had disappeared by the time they arrived. It reappeared briefly on the way home this evening but when the engine was warm. Any ideas please?

Concerned of Eastbourne :confused:

I checked the oil level on idrive and it was showing normal. The guy from BMW assist plugged his diagnostic machine in but came up with no fault codes. the car is going back to the dealer on saturday to sort some minor problems out so I will ask them to look at it. On a brighter note I fitted blackline rear lights today and they look awesome with the le mans blue

I will take some photo's tomorrow and post them in the evening. I bought them from my local dealer. The whole kit with bulbs was £167 and took ten minutes to fit. Trust me when I say the result is absolutely awesome and makes the rear of the car look so cool.

This problem you mentioned could be remedied via one of the following:

a) Either the car has not been used for a few days as you suggested it's done very low miles and perhaps you don't drive it very often which means -> HAVs not filled fully with oil. To get around this, rev the car for 3-4 minutes at 4000 or so revs and see if the ticking disappears.

b) If the noise is a ticking noise but with a bit of a rumbling sound, this may be caused by your solenoid valves which activate the VANOS of the engine. But this normally registers a fault within the DME so it is unlikely for you to be suffering from this as you said there were no faults.

c) The valvetronic motor may have lost the end positions which can simply be re-taught via a GT1 or an ISID by the dealer.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my problem which hasn't reoccured since that day. The car is currently at the dealer having a few minor paint problems sorted out and I asked them to look at it but the fault hasn't returned. I will bear your advice in mind should it happen again.