Is this an Oil leak? and whats this hose do?

Davey_g

Hi guys, newbee here...

I just bought a second hand audi A4 cabriolet 06 2.0TFSi and on closer insepection of the engine i have noticed what looks like a "sheen" on what i think is the gearbox?...sorry for my lack of Audi knowledge..it looks like its been there a while as there is a lot of road grit stuck to the sheeny bits. i think i might have traced were its coming from...but i cant tell if its an actual leak or if its a breather pipe or something....the pipe coming out of the engine part (outlined with a red arrow) kinda moves in and out on what i think is a spring to open and close, and exposes a little gap.....(closed on the picture)

the first photo is the whole engine pointing out the area...

then a close up of what i think is leaking....(THINK lol with the mystery pipe)

then what iv noticed an "oily sheen" on...

Pleeeeease help! the car has 25 days warrenty left!!!!!!!!

post-27577-137914430624_thumb.jpg

post-27577-137914430629_thumb.jpg

post-27577-137914430633_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TSN!

Could well be an oil breather pipe heading back into the manifold.

Wouldn't have thought there was supposed to be a gap in it! That would let cold air in.

Has the engine oil level changed at all? Might be worth changing the pipe and using 'ye old fashioned Jubilee Clips' instead of those Audi crimps.

What does the pipe feel like? Is it all squashy and take an age to reform to it's original shape? - if so, it's perished and needs replacing. Any rubber pipe from a motor factor will do - no need for Audi ££££ pipe.

The pipe itself is fine I think, nice and flexable . And what I mean is When you pull the hose the cap/attachments it's attached to pulls about 1mm to create a very small slot/gap between the engine and the attachment.... Almost like a blowhole of somekind... But to me it looks like it's leaking from the metal cap at the top and dripping down around the pipe as the oil looks a bit more fresh there....the cap I mean is visible In the second picture and bolted on the side of the engine. cam end you say? Audi said they'd look at it but if it turns out to be not a fix they will charge me the pleasure of looking .....

• 3 weeks later...

That pipe is the Vacuum feed to the brake servoc. The bit it's attached to is the vacuum pump. It could well be leaking oil from it's thin sheet metal seal. You can get a new seal for a couple of quid from Audi. The pipe itself should not be leaking the oil as no oil in there!

That pipe moving in and out a bit is normal on the TFSi. Only if you are getting a booting issue should you worry about the movement. Oil leak will be that pump though! Quick fix!

Looking again, it might be close to the cam end seal. They have to remove a small cap and seal to put in the cam locking tools (if it has a belt). Maybe they have not reseated or replaced that oil seal?

Maybe I'm clutching at straws on that one.

These engine dont need the cams lockin at back as variable timing handled by a hydraulic adjuster within the head. The vacuum pump tho IS driven off the back of the cam, that;s where this sheet steel seal is and it's that that's leaking. There' nothing to time up, just pop it off, replace seal and refit.