Anyone on here an MOT tester?

SMB

Recently my car failed it's MOT on a supposed 'cracked brake disk'. perhaps someone could take a look at the pictures attached and advise if they like me agree that this doesn't look like a cracked disk to me, and shouldn't have failed it's MOT. The disks are good quality brembo items and I've asked them for a view aswell. Disks have done about 4000 miles only, pads, barely worn.

Is this really a failure item these days? Or has the garage been on a work creation exercise?

The disk is a vented item, and the mark is on the outer edge of the disk. The disk on the other side had a smaller similiar mark.

Thanks for your thoughts,

post-10080-137914431062_thumb.jpg

post-10080-137914431066_thumb.jpg

post-10080-137914431069_thumb.jpg

I'm not an MOT tester, I can see why you are questioning their decision, it seems more like a minor machine defect from then the discs were made more than a crack. The mark is not dissimilar to 'grooved' discs, so I don't know what they're on about.

If you could show that the other disc has an identical mark, maybe you could pass it off as a manufacturing characteristic and/or get the disc manufacturer to comment ?

Good luck, although it's best not to d1ck about with brakes, it does sound like you're dealing with a right pedant....

As an engineer, I'd say that is a flaw in the casting, wether thats a fail or not I can't say

The fact there are 2 distinct , and seperate marks marks me agree with you somewhat. I've had a cracked disk many years ago from a binding caliper causing overheating, and you can clearly tell when it's a crack.

I agree that it's best not to have bad brakes but, this to me is just a surface mark.

We get a lot of marks like that when we machine steel or aluminium, it's not an issue to us most of the time and I think you would wear it away eventually. Have you taken it to someone else to get a second opinion?

I was rather stuck, as the car was in for a service and MOT, and the previous MOT had expired. I wasn't worried about the marks (which I knew about) as it had passed the previous MOT with them. I was forced to have them change the disks and get a new ticket that day. I could take the disks to another MOT station but I'm not sure what sort of response they would give.

Brembo have replied and said they think the mark was made by using a screwdriver to seperate the pads, but the marks feel too deep for that.

I was rather stuck, as the car was in for a service and MOT, and the previous MOT had expired. I wasn't worried about the marks (which I knew about) as it had passed the previous MOT with them. I was forced to have them change the disks and get a new ticket that day. I could take the disks to another MOT station but I'm not sure what sort of response they would give.

Brembo have replied and said they think the mark was made by using a screwdriver to seperate the pads, but the marks feel too deep for that.

Just swap them back - jobsworth tester by the sound of it. A mark like that will not affect the braking area to such an extent as to cause a danger to you and others.

Feck, I've had discs with huge corrosion areas go through! Will post up a picture later.

Just swap them back - jobsworth tester by the sound of it. A mark like that will not affect the braking area to such an extent as to cause a danger to you and others.

Feck, I've had discs with huge corrosion areas go through! Will post up a picture later.

I've had to pay for fitting new ones, no point in going back, point is, did I need them in the first place?

Take the car to your local VOSA testing station and get their opinion and if they agree it isn't a fail report the tester and try and get your money back

You can appeal any failure. Just call your local VOSA centre as stated above.

That's not a fail IMO either +++

• 2 weeks later...
You can appeal any failure. Just call your local VOSA centre as stated above.

That's not a fail IMO either +++

Thanks for the suggestions guys, for the record, man at VOSA agrees, NOT a failure, so in discussion with garage now re recovery of my excess costs and time to prove.