Audi A6 2.8 FSI 2008 quattro - Japanese to English... Done!

JimH

Hello folks... I was helped by audi.us... My car is now all singing and dancing... in English! +++

I've learned a few things... First and foremost... YOU DON'T CHANGE OUT YOUR MMI SYSTEM UNITS, SatNav SCREEN, DVD etc... most can be changed to suit using vagcom. :grin:

Second, the Japanese setup is far superior to that of others... especially the reversing camera to screen display... everything, DBV, SatNav, very sharp and clear.

The US forum members went out of their way to help me... kobra... changed the language... I now have the choice of eight at the touch of a button... :cool:

kobra even gave me the software/firmware... craigyb explained most other things... and again others helped. +++:grin:+++

And the best bit... ALL THEIR HARD WORK WAS DONE ABSOLUTELY.... FREE OF CHARGE! How :cool: was that! Round of applause to them all! +++

Sorry about being off topic... I didn't realise. The car drives really well... no hitches of any kind with the update... now SW 5150. The petrol consumption was around 25 to 30 mpg prior to the upgrade so I'll check. craigyb, I'm sure, was instrumental in attracting the intrest of the other forum members... that's when kobra7 came on the scene... he had changed the language in his own car... but I got the impression that changing from Japanese to English was a different kettle of fish due to the extra units in their MMI set-up.

I might haved missed something here, but why have you got a Japanese A6 in the first place?

long story... oldest son worked over in europe... wanted this type of audi... bought it before it was sent to Japan... don't know how or why... he got bored with it and offered it to me... being automatic and having gear shift on the steering wheel + the reversing camera... was just what I needed to encourage me back to driving... I was disabled in an accident a couple of years ago... doh! But am now on the mend +++

long story... oldest son worked over in europe... wanted this type of audi... bought it before it was sent to Japan... don't know how or why... he got bored with it and offered it to me... being automatic and having gear shift on the steering wheel + the reversing camera... was just what I needed to encourage me back to driving... I was disabled in an accident a couple of years ago... doh! But am now on the mend +++

Well glad to hear your back on the mend and glad that you have got all of your software issues sorted with it now

• 1 month later...

I am really sorry for the late response to the now old thread but I am desperately looking for help with a similar issue.

I finally got myself a "new" car (auction). The problem isi that my Toyota Spacio has a Sat Nav system and it's all in Japanese / Chinese.

Sorry - I cannot tell you which software version or anything as I don't know how to tell (but in my defence - most girls that I know would also be useless around this topic)

I pressed the tilt button on the screen and out popped a CD (which I assumed was the map CD as the system would not function thereafter)

Is there any way to find out how to change this into English?. I am happy to buy a new CD if this would work but I don't want to spend the money on the wrong thing. I arrived in New Zealand 3 days ago and thought this would be the perfect way not to do my usual "get lost in a shoebox" trick.

As it is - it seems that I'm going to have to buy a seperate navigation system and keep the onboard one switched off. :(

I would really appreciate any help!!

Rgds,

Pooklet