Mk2 Golf 8v timing problem!

Hi guy's been a while but need a little help please. Sorry for the essay:

I think ive made a BIG mistake. I recently had a friend (Master Tech for a large motor company) change my timing belt and tensioner @ 110k miles (no idea if this has ever been done before and thought better safe than sorry). To be honest I rather wish I hadn't now.

He did the work and replaced the rocker cover gasket (as was leaking slightly), oil breather pipe and distributor cap seals (both perishing) while he was doing it. So 2 days later, im driving to work and the engines not sounding right, like the timings out. On the way home it then over heats by dumping all its water/coolant out the top of the expansion tank bottle while im in petrol station. Got the mate to have another look, and run it while im there and it starts sounding fine, he says nothing wrong all ok, fills up coolant/water, drives fine again for another week then dumps water out the expansion tank bottle again. Everyone I talk to says probably head gasket.

I decide to get the head gasket done as a matter of precaution, went to ECP and get gasket kit and stretch bolts. Another mate takes a look (not a tech but had some garage/hands on experience) and to fit new exhaust centre box and brake hose while he is at it. Head gasket does need doing and he starts to replace. Looks at the Cam belt and its really loose (like can slip off with his hands) and starting to shred at the sides.

Now im annoyed to the max with the 1st bloke who is a Master Tech as the timings way out and the new belt is knackered. Im in the process of buying a Haynes manual but in the mean time, does anyone know where I can obtain the timing information so I can get this sorted ASAP?

It's a '91 H reg 8v GTI (big bumper). Bills are starting mount up on a car that at today’s prices is worth no more than £600. I really like Dubby (as she's known to me and my lad) but am at the point that I may have to have the old girl put down.

Thanks

DD