A4 1.8t s-line 2005 cambelt change interval??

iduA fever

Hi everyone, i have just bought a 77k 1.8t '05 from a car dealer with full service history. The dealer told me the manufacturer recommended changing the cambelt at about 100k to 120k. I replied that i have seen some tdi's with the same mileage, that have already had a cambelt change. He insisted there is a difference between the tdi and the petrol 1.8t and agreed that the tdi's should be changed at about 80k

My question to the experts on here is this:-

1. what is the correct interval for changing the cambelt on a 2005 a4 1.8t s-line

2. can i have the cambelt inspected at an audi dealer? i.e do they have some kind of inspection service?? to check if everything is o.k?

3. what are the main problems to expect with this model? i have heard of the coil pack, but is there any other thing to look out for? pls advice as i intend to give these set of wheels some good care...

any answer will help...thanks

Hi

many thanks for that(wasn't expecting a response that quick!)

It is a b7 A4 1.8t s-line 2005 plate, and the dealer was adamant that the recommended cambelt change for this model is around 100k-120k..could this model have the chain type like you mentioned? is there a way of telling? and would i just be better taking it to my local audi garage for inspection? i want to be on top of repairs and maintainance for this solid set of wheels...many thanks again.....can't believe all this advice is for free??? Smashing!

post-27823-137914431095_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Audi have revised the cambelt interval (at least for the 1.8t) - this time last year when I checked it was something like 108,000 miles (some odd number as a result of km>mile conversion).

When I got mine serviced last nov at a Stealers - it came back with an advisory that they recommended a cambelt at 5yrs or 75k miles - I queried this and they produced a bit of paper from Audi with the details on - that Audi have revised the interval.

I have since had a letter from the supplying stealer, and another from Audi telling me the same thing - my 5 yrs was up in march and I am getting the belt, pump and tensioner done next month - I am probably fine but I had a 3 series BMW once - originally with a 60k cambelt interval, subsequently revised to 45K - and at 53K it broke - so I am playing on the safe side.

Audi do a fixed price belt only change for 329 for cars < = 2.0 and > 3 yrs old - but that's just the belt, not the water pump, rollers, or the tensioner assembly (which they recommend is changed at the same time) so I am going down the independent route at about 400 quid all in.

Malarcy

Mine is 5 years +one month old and is about to have everything done...... only 35k miles though !

Not worth any risk in my book !

Dealer is quoting about £400 - presumably for all the bits not just the belt. Son in law changed the belt on a Peugeot but didn't do the tensioner.......... he paid much more for a replacement engine from a wrecked car than the cost of the tensioner !!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi , like to thank you all for information i have gathered re cambelt change interval , my cars only done 40 k but its now 6 years old, my local audi dealership stated 70 k or 5 years max before renewal and having an aftermarket full warranty on the car i have to do the work according audi spec , audi wanted £800 but a local garage ,sturla cars , did my cambelt tensioners etc, water pump, and yearly oil service using origional vw / audi parts they charged me £345 fair amount of money but half the price of main dealer and much cheaper than a new engine , thanks for all the info , robert , chatham , kent.uk