Service £199 and the rest...rant!!

jackrory

So Last week I took my b6 avant for a service..it's 7 years old but I thought at that price it was worth getting it done at the main dealer. I've had it for 2.5 years and it's always been very reliable. I pick the car up and I get the usual reports of what else needs doing..the advisories if you like. I pay up and I set off home. 2 hours after getting my car back I head off to tescos..as I approach a roundabout the car essentially turned itself off, and wouldn't restart..well for at least ten minutes. got it going again, and put it conking out down to an error on my part. 3 days later i'm doing 60 on an A road..same thing happens, car shuts down, steering starts to lock up, pedals stiffen up. Luckily I kept it under control, and managed to pull it off the road safely. I had to call the AA this time. it gets going again.

today it was in with the dealers with this problem. they said there was numerous codes showing up and a possible air leak causing the problems. they told me to bring it back and they won't charge me for labour, only for parts. now my problem is this...my car went in for it's service in a good state..hours afterwards it's breaking down..is it possible that they unintentionally caused some problems, I asked why these problems weren't spotted during service, reply: a service is just a service, nothing else. hmm nothing else but the other stuff you reported on. I'm ranting on now..I guess my questions are,

1: what parts are involved in fixing an air leak..and are they pricey?

2: Nice as it was for them to offer to pay for the labour cost's..why would they do this..seems odd to me if they are not at fault somehow.

fin..sorry for boring you all ;)

Fixing an air leak can take an age.. but if they're paying for the labour (and I hope you have a car from them) then I guess it doesn't matter how long it takes ;)

And yes, I'd agree, if they are offering to pay for the labour then there must be something fishy going on.