Engine Immobilised+ Engine Workshop.

LMTDi

I would firstly Like to say hello to all on the forum. I am A new member so please go easy on me!

I had my 2001 golf TDi with 76,600 miles serviced just last week as well as A exhaust part fitted to the engine area, as there seemed to be noticeable smoke coming from this area. There was also the smell of fumes coming into the cabin of the car when I had the A/C on. This has thankfully all been fixed.

The problem thats has sprung up now is, The messaged displayed on the instrument cluster as Engine Immobilised and Engine Workshop. I started the car to go on a short journey all seemed fine. When I returned to the car I then started the car for it to firstly run and within 10 seconds it had cut out with the words displayd on the dash ENGINE IMMOBILISED. I then turned the car off and tried again only to have the same outcome. I teid this 3-4 times. On the 4th attempt the car did stay running but I also remember the cluster reading ENGINE WORKSHOP. I did manage to get home safetly but I am now really concearned what this fault could be.

I hope you guy's could be of help and direct me in the right direction on what this could be.

Thanks Lianne.

Hi Lianne, welcome to Tyresmoke :beer:

A common one for immobiliser faults is the the reader coil which is on the end of the ignition barrel. If you (or a previous owner) has had/has a lot of keys on your car key it tends to cause the reader coil to stop working intermittently, which is what I think you've experienced here.

The "Engine Workshop" fault will probably only be there to urge you to get the car looked at.. which you should do before it leaves you stranded.

Where are you from? There may be someone local to you who can scan your car for faults and double check what the problem is. Dealers will usually charge for that but buying someone on here a beer usually is enough!

+++