Footwell Lights

t0m

Anyone installed these in a B6 and if so where do you connect them into, ive been told to look at the convenience module under the carpet but this is in a compartment that is water tight and i dont really want to go messing with this and installing wires in ways that they are not designed for.

Anyone help?!

Tom

HI,

I will be doing this install in my B6 in a few weekends ( weather permitting). I complete it, I will do a retrofit writeup on it.

You will need parts from the dealers, these include lights/lens and for the rear seats some brackets to hold the light/lens in. You will also need VAG-COM to code/enable this feature in the convenience module( CCM)

The CCM is located just in front of the passenger seat, under the carpet, near the door. Actually have a look at the attachment :)

Regards

Jay

post-24051-137914432385_thumb.jpg

Jay,

I look forward to hearing how you went about it, I don't want to botch the job I.e break the water tight seal!

Vagcom is not a problem so please keep me informed, I already have the lights just got to get the brackets for the rear footwell lights!

Tom

HI,

I will be doing this install in my B6 in a few weekends ( weather permitting). I complete it, I will do a retrofit writeup on it.

You will need parts from the dealers, these include lights/lens and for the rear seats some brackets to hold the light/lens in. You will also need VAG-COM to code/enable this feature in the convenience module( CCM)

The CCM is located just in front of the passenger seat, under the carpet, near the door. Actually have a look at the attachment :)

Regards

Jay

Hi T0m,

I have done the installation of the footwell light and they look really good :) Audi really should put these in a standard but I guess it's the option list that makes them money!

A whole day will be required to install them. The hardest bit was getting under the carpet to access the CCM and connecting the wires to the pins in connector 2. The front passenger seat will have to be removed.

I didnt mess with the water tight seal but drilled a new whole into the plastic CCM housing to pass the new cables through and used silicone to seal it.

I am currectly working on some instructions but didn't take any pictures.

I will post it in the next few days for everyone to use :)

Many thanks

Jay

Hi T0m,

Here is a copy instructions I found and used to install footwell lights, and it worked :)

***Requires VAG-COM to recode the Convenience Module***

(FW=Footwell)

Misc. Parts used:

· light duty flexible Twin speaker cable (feed for each FW light)

· Misc. connection wire

· 4mm female crimp spade connectors (red)

· Misc. Male & Felmale crimp connectors (Blue type)

· Heat shrink (various sizes)

· Self Amalgamating Tape

Audi parts required:

8E0 947 113 A6 PS Rear Reatainer (x2) @ £6.42ea

8E0 947 101 Rear FW Light (x2) @ £6.35ea

3B0 947 415 B Front FW Light (x2) @ £5.90ea

I used the radio control battery packs connectors to enable me to disconnect the FW lights at the various connection points near to the lights - again I could have sourced the correct Audi plugs and wires but this seemed an easier option at the time. These battery plugs do the job fine and I positioned them close to existing Audi connectors and out of site. For the seat connections they are next to the airbag / heated seat connectors in the floor, for the glovebox panel it is adjacent to the glovebox wire connector, and the drivers side panel is near the diagnostic port connector.

Car Items to remove.......

· Take the front seats out (Various trims + 4 bolts each)

· Take the glove box out (6 bolts)

· Take out the panel under the steering wheel above the pedals.

+12V Supply from Fuse box

The lights require a permanent +12v fused supply.

I managed to utilise a spare fuse slot in the fusebox and provide a dedicated feed using a larger physical fuse size - but still 5A.

(The wiring diagrams indicate S2(5A) as the correct fuse location but this is the small style fuse which I could not work out how to make a coonection too since the load side had no connector.)

This feed was routed back to the passenger side left kick panel

Front Seat lights for Rear Footwell lights:

Note - Airbag light will come on if you switch on ignition with seats disconnected - requires reset through VAG-COM.

Fit the retainer clips to the back of the seats. Make up a custom two wire loom and cable tie to under seat back to a Male Race lead connector. I integrated the new wires into exisiting hosing and utilised black heat shrink to make the cabling look factory fit. I used 4mm red female spade connectors to connec to the light units.Tip - normally you would crimp the connector parallel to the spade - rotate through 90 degrees and then crimp - you will then have room to slide this particular connector into the light male pins. I also heatshrunk the exposed metal of the spade connector for extra electrical safety.

At each seat connection point I positioned a female race pack connector and then routed this back to the passenger side left kick panel.

Front Footwell lights:

The light apertures are there to fit the lights in the Glove box panel and the under steering wheel cover. You may have to punch out the panel blank to expose the full rectangular hole and it may require a quick edge clean with a metal file.

Mount the lights and make up a wire loom utilising a race pack connector to enable panel removal - put the inline connector near the other panel connectors.

NOTE: The front Footwell lights are polarised with a diode so will only work one way - check which pin requires the 12V and 0V signals.

Route all footwell lights back to the passenger side left kick panel - you can make all your FINAL connections here behind the plastic connector mount panel.

TIP: once all the wires from all 4x FW lights are here - check they work with a battery - I used my 9.6v drill battery noting the (+) & (-) terminals for the front FW lights.

Convenience Module Connection:

(BE CAREFUL THIS IS A £220 module)

The convenience module (J393) is located under the front of the front left side of the passenger seat - getting access to this is the hardest part. You need to prop back the carpet. The Convenience module is located in a water tight box - pry the retaining clips open to gain access. You need to get four wires through the water tight seal to connect to the following connector pins of the convenience module. Pick out the rubber sealant and carefully push a small screwdriver through the wire seal - you should be able to push your 4 wires through - I pre-shrunk them as a loom with black heat shrink. Re-insert the rubber compund you picked out and then tape with self amalgamating tape to make water tight again.

Convenience Module J393 - Connector II

Pin 13 Front Right FW light

Pin 6 Front Left FW light

Pin 5 Rear Right FW light

Pin 14 Rear Left FW Light

The convenience module provides the switched 0v connection to your lights as and when each door is opened individually.

I used a 4mm red female spade connector with heatshrink over the exposed metal spade to connect to the convenience module Connector II for the 4 wires.

Final Connections: @ Left passenger Kick Panel

All the wires are routed to here.

Connect the relevant 0v side of the FW light to the above 4 wires in turn.

Connect the other side of the FW light to the new +12v supply.

VAG-COM Coding:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...Comfort_System

Convenience Module: 46

Channel 061: Variant Reduction

· +1 = Mechanical Window Regulators in Rear (PR-4R5)

· +2 = Footwell Lights (PR-QQ1)

Note: Adaptation value is the sum of the individual options.

That should be it - Footwell lights - Close all doors and then check by opening each door in turn!

Hope this helps?

Hey Audi32 thanks for that I do have an email with those instructions in but i dont have VAG com and im not sure what im doing with the fuse box...am not a total idiot just need some guidance.....you say it took you a day?!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi T0m,

Yep, took me a day as I took my time. The seats are very heavy and routing the cables through took time togethr with testing.

You can get VAG-COM and cable from ebay for about £15. I used a very old version of VAG 311. This version seems to work flawless for me.

I live in Birmingham and if you are nearby then I could help you. Just PM me.

Jay

T0m,

Forget to mention that from the fuse box, there are lots of positive cables that you can use. Pick one and from the rear of the fuse box cut it so that you spilt it into two.

For example choose the door fuse. Open the rear of the fuse box locate the fuse and then from the rear find the inward positive ( cable coming from engine into this fuse) and cut it. Then split this wire in two, one for the positive poll to the footwell lights and then the other going back to the original fuse. On the footwell lights positive you can add a fuse and split this wire again four times ( after the fuse) for each footwell light.

Hope that helps? PM me if you wish.

Jay