Passenger dip light permanently on

Here's a puzzler.

I've had my A4 parked up for the past few days as I've had a wiper mechanism fail and bind on me, so I'm in the MR2 for a while.

I came back to the house this afternoon for lunch and I see that the passenger dipped headlight is on.

I sit into the A4, the light switches were all in 'off', the indicator stalk is level, and there aren't any warning light left on the dash. The engine starts fine, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong. I can't get the headlight to switch off at all.

Currently I have the wiper motor disconnected as it was going to overheat the motor if I accidentaly tapped the wiper stalk while driving. The motor itself is fine, it's the bearings in the spindle that are shagged. I've pulled the feed plug going to the HID ballast for the moment. (I don't think the HIDs are relevant to this problem though). I'll put the vag-com on this evening to see what it reads.

Where are the fuses for the headlights? They aren't specifically listed on the driver-side fusebox, though 21 and 22 (small 15A fuses) are not present in the car.

Is there something else that can cause the dip light to come on? THe front park lights are not on, and I don't think the rear lights are on either but I need to confirm that this evening.

What I did was after I came back to the car, I plugged the feed to the HID back in and the light didn't re-fire.

I did see a little water under the battery, so I removed the battery and I cleared up the drain hole under the brake servo, releasing maybe one or 2 litres of water. I don't think that this would cause this type of problem unless it filled into the dashboard.

I haven't checked the codes yet - this evening I hope

There's another possibility, but remote...

As I have aftermarket HIDs it may be possible that both headlight dip circuits were energised but only one of the HID ballast units fired up.

More investigation required.