Plate retention/transfer

Pincher

Can someone explain it in a nutshell please?

Looking to buy a car that currently has a personal plate on it - now me being me, I'm too impatient to wait for the seller to get it transferred off (takes a few weeks I believe? Don't think you can do it there & then in a local DVLA office anymore?).

One option is for me to take the car with the plate and then when the new V5 comes through in my name, get it put on retention (not in my name). However, I believe that costs about £120? And then when the owner wants to put it on another car, there is a further charge?

Would it make more sense for me to keep it on the car its currently on until the chap finds the car he wants and then just do a simple car-to-car transfer when he has his V5?

Does this work out cheaper?

(I know the owner of the car I'm looking to buy, and I'm sure he'll trust me to pass the plate back to him, especially as it means nothing at all to me).

Suggestions welcome +++

The retention fee of around £120 includes the transfer fee so there is no charge when it comes to putting it onto the next car.

Last time I put one on retention it took about a week.

I would just put it on retention oin the owners name and run about or a week with it on and change plates when the new tax disc and reg. no. comes through if it didn't have an original no.

The owner would want some pperwork to say the plate in not included in the sale of the car

Edited by Cuprabob