Where is the Allroad Suspension Compressor Motor Relay?

nellyccc

I have a 2001 2.5 TDi Automatic Allroad with an unusual suspension problem. Instead of the usual problem where the bags leak, I had the opposite problem whereby all four bags were stuck on full!.

When starting the car the top green light would flash which would indicate that the sensors were still doing their job in telling the car to release pressure in the system, but nothing happened. I even tried driving at 70 MPH on the motorway to see if the speed sensor worked, it did i.e. the top two lights flashed but it was still stuck on the top setting.

I suspected that the compressor was at fault, so I had a replacement one shipped from Arnott Industries. After fitting it there was no change to the problem (no power to the compressor and still stuck at full height)

I decided to disconnect the air hoses manually at the valve block. Firstly I disconnected the yellow connection to the pressure reservoir which emptied the tank but had no effect on the suspension so with the aid of a colleague disconnected the air line to each of the four air springs to level them out manually.

I am now in the position whereby when I switch the ignition on, the warning light on the dash is on constantly (I seem to remember that it used to flash for a while and then become solid) the lowest green light in the centre console is flashing as the system is calling for air. There is no power to the new compressor and after using a friend’s VAG.com it has a fault stating that there is a short on the solenoid which I thought was on the new compressor.

After obtaining a wiring diagram for the suspension I understand that there is a main 40AMP fuse and relay supplying the compressor. Having looked through the forum I understand that it could be on the relay panel (driver’s side, behind the micro central electric panel). I have looked at my relay panel but it doesn’t look like the one on the diagram that I found.

Does anybody out there know where the main fuse and relay located?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The relay is on in the relay panel on the drivers side, I found it by a process of elimination by connecting live and working out what turned on!?!

The 40A fuse is in a single fuseholder, right on the firewall at top I think, almost behind the fusebox.

Sorry I dont have pictures but I know the fuse was a b!tch to find when it popped on my old allroad..... I also bought a new compressor which I didn't need, along with the valve block, both sat in the garage now collecting dust :ffs:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the same problem

I have a 2001 2.5 TDi Automatic Allroad with an unusual suspension problem. Instead of the usual problem where the bags leak, I had the opposite problem whereby all four bags were stuck on full!.

When starting the car the top green light would flash which would indicate that the sensors were still doing their job in telling the car to release pressure in the system, but nothing happened. I even tried driving at 70 MPH on the motorway to see if the speed sensor worked, it did i.e. the top two lights flashed but it was still stuck on the top setting.

I suspected that the compressor was at fault, so I had a replacement one shipped from Arnott Industries. After fitting it there was no change to the problem (no power to the compressor and still stuck at full height)

I decided to disconnect the air hoses manually at the valve block. Firstly I disconnected the yellow connection to the pressure reservoir which emptied the tank but had no effect on the suspension so with the aid of a colleague disconnected the air line to each of the four air springs to level them out manually.

I am now in the position whereby when I switch the ignition on, the warning light on the dash is on constantly (I seem to remember that it used to flash for a while and then become solid) the lowest green light in the centre console is flashing as the system is calling for air. There is no power to the new compressor and after using a friend’s VAG.com it has a fault stating that there is a short on the solenoid which I thought was on the new compressor.

After obtaining a wiring diagram for the suspension I understand that there is a main 40AMP fuse and relay supplying the compressor. Having looked through the forum I understand that it could be on the relay panel (driver’s side, behind the micro central electric panel). I have looked at my relay panel but it doesn’t look like the one on the diagram that I found.

Does anybody out there know where the main fuse and relay located?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.