A8 D3 - Can I used external AV for iPod?

TrundleFly

Hello

I have a 05 A8 3.0 TDI. In terms of AV options it has DVD satnav with TV signal, DAB radio and has two 6 CD changers in the glove box so a total of 12 CDs. Also Bose stereo.

I would like to be able to connect my iPod and notice that in the options it shows two external AV sources.

Is there some way I can hook my iPod up to one of these? Also, interested to know what other people are using these sources for?

Also, I thought it strange that I have 2 CD changers in the glove box. They both look identical but is it possible these would play MP3 CDs or are they just for "normal" CDs?

You need to add the AV cables to the red connector in the boot for the TV tuner, then I guess run some AV cable the length of the car to the glovebox or armrest whichever is your preference.

Problem is the screen will blank unless you have the TV in motion coding done. Easy enough for anyone with VAG COM.

The AV cables are about 15 euros each.

Having two CD changers is quite unusual, I had two in my first A8 W12, they were both normal non MP3 changers as MP3 did no become available until 2006/7 as standard. Unless one has been retrofitted they will be non MP3.

Also the MMI software must be version 3450 or higher to support MP3 CD changers or it wont be seen in the MMI, so check your version of MMI by pressing CAR & VERSION. If it's below 3450 you can be pretty certain you don't have MP3 CD changers.

Thanks guys. I'm going to see how I get on with the 12 CDs for now and then having looked at your site Craig I may go for the retrofit OEM iPod connector. I guess with an AV cable I wouldn't get charging of the iPod and would need to actually control everything via the iPod itself? If so this is not what I'm after and want to be able to use the MMI to control it.

Also - I'm only really after music, video from iPod would just be a nice to have.

Craig - Does the OEM one sit in the glove box i.e. would it replace one of my CD changers?

Hmm, may be an idea Jim.

My versions came out as below which look on the low side:

SW: D3-HU 21.2.0 0534

HW: D3-HU 6300D2.0

I guess that means I don't have iPod changer.

After reseraching the AMI thing though am I right in saying that it doesn't actually charge your iPod whilst it's connected? If so I think I'd rather just get an MP3 changer.

In that case the group buy thing sounds quite interesting. I guess that include an update to the latest MMI version as well?

How do we go about arranging this Craig?

From the pictures on the Audi site it looks like we can just attach a USB hard drive or flash drive to it as well instead of an iPod. Makes it even more appealing to me.

It's small as group buys go, but I give you secondhand price for your changer, you use some of that to pay Craig. I pay Craig full whack and you for the second hand CD. I have something other than radio to listen to. We'd need to be at Craigs same day, or at the very least you get yours done first, and I pay you for the changer before I go to see Craig.

I also have an issue with analogue TV being switched off around here soon, but budget to do the digital upgrade in the A8 is nonexistent. Still waiting for Direct line to pay out on my stolen Touareg.

Jim - I just spoke to Craig and I'm going to go up this Saturday at 9AM for the AMI upgrade and that will take around 2 hours.

Happy to sell you the CD changer. They seem to go for around 120-150 on eBay buy it now, so I'll sell it you for £100 if you want? Craig has said that if you go to him for 11AM then he can put the CD changer in as it also needs to go to Audi for a couple of mins to activate it which he'd need to do by 12AM. He can then stick the AMI in for you afterwards.

Will you be able to make it Saturday?

£100 sounds fine. I'm working this weekend, may be free by 11 but no guarantee. I go in to the hospital around 9 and may be out quickly or could be there for 48 hours - pot luck. I'll do my utmost to be at Craigs though. If not would you be OK leaving it with Craig and I'll sort payment to you separately?

Cheers, I shall await PM. Will try to meet up with Craig this weekend and gain AMI/CD capability. Cheque from insurance claim arrived today so budget constraints slightly loosened. Still can't have the digital TV upgrade yet though, need to tax car this month as well, so maybe I'll upgrade TV for Christmas!