runflat replacement??????

hprice1099

hi Guys, some help with my problem please, i replaced my 16" runflats and upgraded to 18" alloys with normal tyres, the probmlem is the handeling has changed alot, is this normal? i was thinking is mat be because of the non runflat tyres? or the bigger alloys? or indeed both? it seemed alot better with the smaller alloys, also the mpg has reduced as well, is this normal with bigger alloys? it went from just over 44mpg to just over 40mpg, i have a 08 e90 SE if this helps.

cheers guys

Hi, BMW designed the spring/damper settings to work with tyres which have a stiff sidewall. You have replaced them with tyres which are - more than likely - of a less stiff construction so the handling should be softer and the ride more compliant.

Can't comment on the mpg other than have you checked if your speedo is now out as well given that the tyre/wheel combination may now have a different diameter; ie your mpg may actually be unchanged.

Edited by Merlot

Thanks for that, i was thinging about that and returning back to runflats? but i thought putting normal tyres would make it softer but it seems to be the other way, maybe its because of bigger alloys, would you think this would be the correct way of sorting the problem out? i would say about the mpg, the 320d se with 16" alloys has a combined mpg of 58, the same car but m sport with 18" mv3 alloys, the ones i have, the same combined figure is still given as 58 mpg combined, thats why i was woundering if i've made a mistake somewhere along the line.

cheers:)

Edited by hprice1099