[Audi A3/S3] Magnetic Comfort?

rich_b

Hi,

Im a returning customer as they say :)

I used to have an 02 S3, loved it, best car i ever owned.

Moved away and got something else...

now, i'm back on track with a new S3 sportback on order! hurar!.

Have a question regarding magnetic ride thingie - im currently browsing through what options to have, what's good and what's not worth it!.

I do a fair amount of miles, and so was wondering if anyone knew wiether the "comfortable" setting with the magnetic ride is more comfortable than the standard S3 ride?!?!

I would assume that the normal suspension is a balance between comfort and rigidity, and so the magnetic ride allows the car to "firm up" in sporty mode... but, is it also more soft in comfort mode??!?!

Oddly, i'm more likely to want the option if it allows for extra comfort in normal ride, instead of the promoted race stiffness.. i don't do racing.. other than whipping the odd clever d** in something with a silly fat exhaust ;)

Can't comment on that but have recently taken delivery of an S3 Sportback with MR and the ride on 'normal' is much softer in a straight line than the B6 S4 that it replaced.

MR is not much understood but most R8's have it as do all 599/612 Ferraris' so it must be good.

Have it on a 3.2 TT and I am well impressed. You might struggle to get an S3 with magnetic ride to test drive but the TTS has magnetic ride as standard and, essentially, has the same engine as the S3.

I can recall reading a review about magnetic ride a year or so ago when this option first became available....I`v forgotten if it was by a journalist or an owner...but they loved it and iirc they said if they were only allowed one option;.....it would be magnetic ride.

MR not only stiffens/softens the ride but it drastically reduces body roll when cornering as well......So your sporty motor can now double as a comfy family car......in effect Killing two birds with one stone.

Well said. MR has been around a while longer. My TT is due its first MOT next month and MR had been around on the TT for about six months before I got mine.

Time really does flyby....Has it really been an option for 3yrs:eek:....I think the review I read was when they introduced the face-lifted A3....and thinking about it that was over 18 months ago....Even so I can still remember seeing it as an option on the new TT and it`s scary to think that was 4yrs ago....God I`am getting old because in some ways it only feels like yesterday.

Can't comment on that but have recently taken delivery of an S3 Sportback with MR and the ride on 'normal' is much softer in a straight line than the B6 S4 that it replaced.

MR is not much understood but most R8's have it as do all 599/612 Ferraris' so it must be good.

Cool, cheers for the info Merlot!

much happier now i know im paying for something that will indeed be beneficial ;)

i'd be interested to know what other options you spec'ed also?

ive got, interior light pack, storage, rain and light, dvd plus, bose, acoustic parking front and rear, no smoking, folding mirrors, tint glass, roof rails, blutooth phone, ami, and magnetic ride.