Intermittent Turbo Problems

mrkoneill

OK, this probably encapsulates a few previous posts but here goes: I own a 2002 Bora 1.9 TDI with about 132K miles on it. It has been serviced regularly and hasn't suffered from any problems to date. Recently while driving up a steep incline and overtaking a slower car I suffered a loss of power/turbo. I was able to limp home but still gather speed to a 70/80 mph mark although without the usual poke that I would expect. I researched this forum and took it to a mechanic who checked the intercooler and all the pipes etc and it seemed fine. He took it on a road test and said it was running fine. He also ran a computer diagnostic which only came back with INTERMITTENT TURBO PROBLEM. He said it could either be a turbo valve, the MAF or the turbo but then again as it was intermittent and it seemed to be runing fine he said that it might sort itself out. Any help or ideas? what are the costs involved with each of the above (turbo, turbo boost valve, MAF)? Also am I doing the car any harm by driving through these intermittent losses of power?

Thanks in advance.