A8 2009 Sat Nat update

jhmburns

I dont think my sat nav/MMI has been updated since 2007 and I was looking into buying the new discs from Audi. I nearly fell off my seat when they told me they were £200 plas about £150 to fit/install!

Does anyone know exactly what benefits come from using the new discs and is it worthwhile? Also, is there anywhere else I can buy them (ie Ebay etc)?

Thanks for your help.

£150 to install? eh? Its just ejecting the old disk and putting in the new disk :confused:

Clearly the main benefit is that you will have up to date maps with new roads / junctions etc. Whether thats worth the cost of a new disk is up to you.

You can sometimes pick them up on ebay, but there are plenty of 2009 copies available on various torrent sites to download for free

£150 to install? eh? Its just ejecting the old disk and putting in the new disk :confused:

Clearly the main benefit is that you will have up to date maps with new roads / junctions etc. Whether thats worth the cost of a new disk is up to you.

You can sometimes pick them up on ebay, but there are plenty of 2009 copies available on various torrent sites to download for free

Thanks mate. Tell me, is there any risk doing this myself? I'd hate to brick my car!!

Some will say that using a copied disk will shorten the life of the Sat Nav DVD laser, as it has to work harder. However, that would be true of all DVD players and so I personally don't think it is an issue.

Everybody i know with a copied disk haven't had any problems at all.

Some will say that using a copied disk will shorten the life of the Sat Nav DVD laser, as it has to work harder. However, that would be true of all DVD players and so I personally don't think it is an issue.

Everybody i know with a copied disk haven't had any problems at all.

What about the actual installation of the disc? Is it just the case of placing the disc in the reader and going from there?

Yes the installation is simple. Go in the boot and locate the Sat Nav DVD player. Eject the old disk and insert the new disk. Job done.

It will probably update the Nav firmware once you put the new disk in (you will see a message explaining this on the MMI display). This only takes a minute or so, and then your ready to go.

Yes the installation is simple. Go in the boot and locate the Sat Nav DVD player. Eject the old disk and insert the new disk. Job done.

It will probably update the Nav firmware once you put the new disk in (you will see a message explaining this on the MMI display). This only takes a minute or so, and then your ready to go.

Thanks for your help mate. A newbie question. I am looking at buying a set of discs from Ebay and the guy has said they will work if my system is an RNS-E system. Do you know if this is the case on a 2007 A8?