Audi A8 gearbox problems

A8 in Green

Hi to all, my very first post in this forum.

I have an Audi A8 4.2 Quattro 1999 but pre facelift. This morning I decided to start this old Girl up for the first time in six months or so. Put the battery on, engine fired up no problems at all. Then I noticed that all the gear segments on the dash display were glowing happily. Everything has lit up P,R,N.D,4,3,2 Full house :rolleyes:

As I needed to move the car back about 5' I selected reverse, no problem car moved smoothly backwards, I then tried D Nothing, not even an attempt at movement. I put it back in P and left the engine running for about 20 mins or so then tried again, this time there was a bit of a jump forwards (brakes grabbing?) followed by normal service the car crept forwards as if there was no longer a problem. The gear segments on the dash were still all on however. Not wishing to push my luck, and with the car back in the garage, I switched off the engine and got out. Thinking I'd ask someone on this forum for help.

So, Ladies and Gents Any ideas as to what has caused this? The car ran perfectly up to August/September It was laid up after I bought a newer A8. I stored it outside for a couple of months and the interior did get damp/wet due to a blocked sunroof drain letting water in. Could this dampness (now gone) be contributing to this problem? Other electrics also seem to have packed up. (windows rear blind and rear screen heater switch)

I will await replies with interest.

All The Best

Paul.

Hi Paul....

The gearbox is a very well documented weak point on the A8 and you wont have to search far to find lots of reference to it, so I wont duplicate.

Having said that though, they dont normally just fail when stood still.

Damp isnt good, but in the cabin wouldnt really affect the gearbox - The gearbox ECU lives in the plenum chamber under the rear left of the bonnet. Moisture in there would cause problems.

Alternitively it maybe just a seal that has perished, and maybe it lost some gearbox fluid ?

Sadly unless your handy with a spanner, its more likely going to cost more to fix than its worth, unless its particularly low mileage / mint ?