Gay? Football fan? going to Qatar in 2022?

cruiser647

I was going to pick up on this as well.

What with the New Crusades by the "Christian Western World" and this one, he does come out with some good sh*t :grin:

On a more serious point though, could I ask wtf is a "Gay Football Fan":confused:

Is this a special subclass which is compelled to commit buggery on the terraces?

I think this whole furore is manufactured nonsense.

Blokes go to see football. When away blokes share hotel rooms.

Wtf does their sexuality have to do with anything and why is "gay rights" even being raised as an issue in this context?

Drinking, granted, is a different matter although I am sure the enterprising will be able to find the many "hidden" watering holes used by the "Elite" and foreign businessmen etc.

The gay issue is a real one in Qatar. My brother in law runs a business out there. He is not allowed to employ gays. If he does he will be sent to prison and deported. If the employees are convicted of having a gay relationship they will be sent to prison subjected to a punishment such as lashes and then deported. This is not an idle threat it does happen occasionally.

Foreign residents are given a monthly alcohol allowance which they must spend at the only off licence in Qatar (government owned). It is illegal to allow a Qatari national to consume alchohol that you have bought.

The hotels have licquor licenses but are subject to many restrictions. For example in the Irish Bar in the Sheraton Doha, if you are not a resident of the hotel single men or groups of men will be denied entry. Couples are allowed but foreign men are not allowed to consort with Qatari women.

I can't see how these rules can be relaxed for the World Cup without a loss of face for the Qataris. They may not be the beliefs of the majority of us in the west but they are based on the local belief system. Pandering to the West (on a temporary basis for the World Cup) would smack of hypocrisy.

Pandering to the West (on a temporary basis for the World Cup) would smack of hypocrisy.

And open the door (back :eek:) to all sorts of possible unrest situations after giving freedoms and then taking them back. Could also encourage Al-Queeda (sp) who might see it as an Arab country pandering and getting soft to the west.

Qatar doesn't need the money - it's the richest country in the world already :)

Qatar richest in the world, says report

That's not what I was saying - it's FIFA that gets the money.

Conversation:

Qatar - we want the World Cup

FIFA - it'll cost X

Qatar - no problem

FIFA (after announcement) - hmm, this drinking and gay thing, it's a problem

Qatar - we can sort that by then

FIFA - its going to cost us to defend this and its not good for our image

Qatar - how much?

FIFA - well we reckon X + Y should just about do it

Qatar - no problem

Don't think it doesn't happen. FIFA, by virtue of their recent actions, have pretty much demonstrated to the world that it does.

I don't really see what the problem is to be honest, if your gay, don't go, and if you do go, don't gay it up, it's their country and they can set whatever laws they want, I wasn't aware it was compulsory for all gays to go to the world cup?

I have no problem with gay people, but I do have a problem with obviously camp gay people, there is no need for it, just because your gay, doesn't mean you have to stop acting like a man.

One thing I've been wondering, is it illegal to actually be gay? or just to commit gay acts?

I have no problem with gay people, but I do have a problem with obviously camp gay people, there is no need for it, just because your gay, doesn't mean you have to stop acting like a man.

Homophobe. The only thing that was lacking was "some of my best friends are gay" :roflmao:

I don't really see what the problem is to be honest, if your gay, don't go, and if you do go, don't gay it up, it's their country and they can set whatever laws they want, I wasn't aware it was compulsory for all gays to go to the world cup?

It's more to do with that old 'uman rights carp. Apparently, gays should be allowed to do what they like. No one else uses public toilets, after all.

So who wants to help me open an traditional English pub in Qatar ready for the World Cup? :grin:

If we want to make some serious money, we could open a Gay Bar, but I have no experience in this kind of establishment :secret: - Duisberg, would you like to be consultant on this one?

Blatter again - trying to make amends for his gay comments........

"We open everything to everybody and I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings be it on this side or that side, be it left, right or whatever.

"If they want to watch a match somewhere in Qatar 2022, I'm sure they will be admitted to such matches."

By "We" he means FIFA. The Qataris miight have other ideas...... going to a match is one thing.... privacy in your hotel room is another!