Mayweathers Prodigy

NewNiceMrMe

As much as I cannot abide the man as a person there is little doubt that Floyd Mayweather Junior is a quite exceptional boxer - of any era.

Right now, despite being scheduled to fight Victor Ortiz soon, his life is plagued by various court proceedings against him, with the main one being a federal one from the IRS. He may go down in real life before he ever does in the ring.

BUT

He has a gym. At that gym it has long been reputed that he has a prodigy.

Well he's now shown footage of him. A young Phillipino child (quite ironic really).

Skip the first 30 seconds of this and wait for the tiny kid to get into the ring...then watch. More specificially, watch what he does when the trainer throws shots at him. Incredible.

7alGqlHNRh8

It's the head movement that gets me. If you watch closely near the end of the session the trainer throws two left hand swipes to the side of his head and the kid throws his hand up instinctively and blocks both without a care in the world. The thing is, it's so fast you'd miss it if you blinked - which makes it all the more impressive of course.

It's the head movement that gets me. If you watch closely near the end of the session the trainer throws two left hand swipes to the side of his head and the kid throws his hand up instinctively and blocks both without a care in the world. The thing is, it's so fast you'd miss it if you blinked - which makes it all the more impressive of course.

You missed him doing the same thing at the start too then.

Ye very impressive, I reckon I could take him though, is the typewriter allowed in boxing still?

I'm sure he has nephews/kids who are also a bit flash with their hands

The chances of him actually making it are probably slim, but he certainly has the best start possible being in that gym with those people. Morality wise he probably couldn't be in a worse place...

However, I digress.

Many, many years ago I did a bit of boxing. I mean 'bit'. Not much at all.

However, there is a reason for that and it is the reason most people don't make it (mine was just for fun).

You get in the ring and you feel great. It's very, very tiring, but I was 20+ years younger and fit at the time. You jab a bit, throw a few big punches and you're having a great time. Right there, in that minute, you just know you're going to become a world champion. Nothing will stop you. You have it. You feel it. You'll probably eclipse Ali and enter the Hall of Fame. You'll be on TV, you'll be lauded at Sports Personality of the Year and you'll probably set a new record for consequetive wins of the Laureus Word Sportsman of the Year award. You're made.

Then the other fecker punches you. It fecking hurts. You stop and think 'feck that'.

The reality is, thats what happens to most young boxers - and who can blame them!

Surely all of that is in a sequence? How else would he know which pad is ready to be punched? The same for the swipes. I'm not doubting the speed, but that's how to practice isn't it? Like the speed bag. It's technique, right?

I've seen Million Dollar Baby and Rocky, I'm now an expert in boxing training methods. When will this kid be going to Siberia to drag some logs?

I'm of the Homer Simpson school of boxing, I just let people punch me until until they get tired/bored, then I thump them with one almighty punch that usually does the job first time.

I've always had a perverse ability to take a punch without falling over, and was set upon by 3 bouncers once (long story, not my fault), I didn't land a single punch but every one of them ended up on their ar5e because they punched themselves out, a plain clothes police officer then arrived and turned a blind eye while I had the final say with a size nine to each of their heads.

I then carried on drinking, with no ill effects.

I started boxing at age 16 and am now 47 and still train and spar often. I spend more time teaching people now, and coached my nephews to a good standard considering I am self taught as an instructor.

Back to the post and that kid is great for his age.

There are a few other vids on YouTube of truly epic pad work.

There used to be one outdoors somewhere on.the street that was lightening fast.

I will have a look w for it when I get a chance snd post it up.