2004 130 TDI Turbo Problems again.

carlparkinson

Hello all,,Not been here for a while as things have been OK since my seat set on fire.

Ill try to explain my problems the best i can.

Im not the regular driver of my car my better half drives it daily,i get the pleasure at weekends.

My problems all started about 3 weeks ago when she told me the car keeps loosing power intermittently,i said ill leave it and see if things get worse.They did,the week after when i drove on the motorway,foot flat down 55mph,gearing to 4th to overtake wagons,also Workshop Emmissions and the engine symbol bings up on the dash.

I arrived where i was going and after a few hours when i set off home again the power was back to normal but the lights were still on the dash but went off after about an hour and everything was ok for a few days.

My partner said it had started again so i bought a new MAF sensor after reading on here about the common problems,fitted it and thought id sorted it.Last weekend i drove the car and the Traction control light came on even though it didnt appear to be driving asthough it was off.I turned the car off for a while and when restarted the light had gone off and the car drove fine.

The day after i got the Traction control light on and the glow plug light was flashing and the dash said Engine Workshop but the car was driving normally.These lights went off after an hour again and since every few days the power drops again and the Worksop Emmisions light and engine symbol seem to be on more than they are off.

My car is a 2004 130 TDI with 84k on the clock.Its been serviced and like i said has a new MAF sensor on it.Also in addition to this the turbo seems to make whoooshing noises when driven hard and when letting off the power.Ive started driving it hard to make something go wrong and im getting all strange noises from the turbo and it seems to start boosting when just lifting the revs slightly.

Has anybody come across these kind of dash lights or driving behaviour??

Thanks in advance for any help,,,

Carl

Hi, it's possible that your brake light switch is knackered. This result in the glow-plug light to show, and your brake lights not too.

Not sure if this can lead to other symptms, but it's worth getting it checked out?

Presume your ABS is working OK? Any dirt in the sensor could trigger those lights?

Thanks for your help cruiser647.

Yes my ABS/Traction control are working ok.The glow plug light has not been on since that one occasion mentioned above but im still having problems with the engine light and "Emmissions Workshop" still coming on.

Like i said earlier i have changed the MAF sensor so am i right in thinking my next step is to change the n75 valve??

Am i right in thinking on a 2004 TDI it is located on the drivers side wing on top of the air filter lid???

Thanksa again for any help

Carl

• 3 months later...

After the earlier problems i had,im not sure if the maf sensor sorted it out but the emmisions warning and the engine warning lights have not been on for a while but now its idleing rough.

When started sometimes its ok but other times it the idle "hunts" up and down like its going to cut out.Every time the idle drops there is a quick hissing noise from i think the N75 valve.

Im going to try and replace the N75 valve and see if that works and if any one has 1 for sale that would be a great help.

Ive looked on Ebay but cant find any with the same part number as mine,the number is 1JO 906 283 A.

Heres an image of what i have.

Thanks for any help

post-6057-137914481181_thumb.jpg

Chances are its been superceded - are the ones you've spotted the same number apart from the A at the end - that usually indicates a superceded part - VW increment the final letter. I have A parts in the past and they were up to J when replacement was needed and looked quite different sometimes, but they mostly fitted!

Pontyslapper,,,,Checked with VW and the part number is still available although they have to order it.

Before i shelled out for the N75 i read on other posts about checking the EGR Valve.

I had it out today and it was caked in thick carbon and had oil all over it,found my problem.Gave it a good clean and put it back on quess what still the fecking same.

Just to clarify it has a lump in the tickover about every 10 seconds,the revs drop about 500 rpm then go back up again although it drives ok when i lift the revs with plenty of power.

I did try dissconecting the tube from the N75 valve that has the little 1way valve in it and it stopped the rough idle but the engine changed note and didnt drive properly having loads of turbo lag so connected it again.

I have read about the injector loom causing similar

Am i right to now start thinking about changing the N75 valve.

(This is doing my head in now)

Carl

post-6057-137914481291_thumb.jpg

post-6057-137914481278_thumb.jpg

post-6057-137914481282_thumb.jpg

post-6057-137914481286_thumb.jpg

post-6057-137914481295_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlparkinson

Yeah this is what I think also.

I have also noticed if I dissconect the pipe off the little black and white 1way valve on the N75 valve it also make the idle ok but when I drive it the turbo obviously won't boost up.

Also could someone please I'd the valve that is down near the turbo intake that has 2 rubber pipes on it and bolts to the block with a 10mm nut as this hisses everytime the revs drop

I don't know which to relpace 1st,the egr which is leaking oil,the n75 or the unknown valve mentioned above.

Any advice please

Thanks

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

Well over the past few weeks ive changed the N75 valve and bought a new EGR valve,all pipes are ok.

But tonight i had my fingers in the inlet side of the turbo and turned the vanes which seemed stiff and scratchey if you know what i mean.

When i rev it hard the turbo can be heard spinning but it whistles when i let my foot off the pedal and sounds dry/stiff.

Ive also noticed oil coming from the holes in the EGR Valve.

How big a job is it to remove the turbo and clean it?

Are they hard to strip down and rebuild or can anyone suggest a good recon firm.The car is used daily so need to do it in a coulpe of days if possible.

Will i have new gaskets to buy/order etc and are there any special tools needed.

Really need help on this one please.

Carl