Audi A6 Glow plug light?

aj84

Hi all,

Driving down the M4 last week and the orange glow plug light started to flash. I don't know how long it was flashing for before I saw it as it can be well hidden if the needle is in that position :- )

Car went into what I think was limp mode as I felt it was running without all of its power suddenly. The only thing worth noting was I think this started as I downshifted via the steering pedals to overtake.

Got home, plugged it into the vagcom and got the following:

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!

Part No SW: 4F5 910 401 Q HW: 4F0 907 401 C

Component: 2.7L V6TDI G000CG 0020

Revision: --H05--- Serial number:

Coding: 0011382

Shop #: WSC 66565 257 00032

VCID: 2F66C5B7BE066CC

1 Fault Found:

004195 - Fuel Pressure Regulation

P1063 - 001 - Control Range Not Reached - MIL ON

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 11110001

Fault Priority: 0

Fault Frequency: 1

Mileage: 60205 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2011.12.18

Time: 19:15:51

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 3570 /min

Torque: 374.4 Nm

(no units): 5.0

Voltage: 13.91 V

Pressure: 1065.0 bar

Duty Cycle: 52.1 %

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Prior to this, I did notice the light did not come back on cycling the engine. At this point, I attempted a short drive at high revs trying to do what I did on the M4, changed gears but it did not occur and power felt like normal again.

Reset the errors and the light has not come back since. I've done a series of local and motorway drives and done exactly the same actions as I did last week but nothing. Anything to worry about? Car's going in for it's 40k service next week but obviously it's out of warranty. Maybe something else to note is I had filled up in the morning so it's possible it could be bad fuel? Fuel has always been Shell V-Power diesel for it's entire life.

Car is an Audi A6 2008 2.7 tdi Le Mans @ 37k miles

Cheers

There are a number of sensors that can put the car into limp mode. When my D3 A8 diesel went into limp mode the garage diagnosed the fault to be the pressure sensor on the intercooler. This was changed with a bill of about £260 (mostly labour getting to the sensor). About 12 months later I had exactly the same fault. By then I had VAGCOM and the same sensor showed up as faulty. Since the part was still under warranty (2 years) I simply cleared the fault with VAGCOM on the principal that if it happened again I had 12 months of part warranty left. That was almost 3 years ago and the fault has never recurred. Your fault is a different one from mine but I would not worry unless it happens again. Clearly mine was a spurious reading from the sensor and I guess your is the same. Makes me wonder if a simple reset would have cured it the first time and saved me £260 but I did not have VAGCOM then!

Cheers RichardW - It's in with Audi at the moment but apparently the diagnostic is 60+vat so I said don't bother given the issue has not reoccured since and if it was fuel filter, it's probably being replaced as I type this.

Vagcom has been a lifesaver so thankfully I can grab the codes for free :- )