A6 for sale

drumstick

What's next? Will you miss that V8 sound?

Definitely will miss the sound Cruiser, and everything else that goes with it, she's an immense motor!

Going for either the 1.9golf tdi or A3 1.9tdi. around the 2002 era. Im going to be doing a hell of a lot more miles and need some thing a bit more eco friendly on my wallet!!

Also i will be able to teach my 17 yearold son to drive in it. not much of surprise but the insurance people dont want to touch him on the V8.

Is just a personal preference on the 2 cars? as i think they are pretty much the same is that right or not?

Do you have any idea what sort of mileage those diesel units will live on to if they are well maintained?

You'll get 200k out of the 1.9 TDi, probably more if you wanted to, you'll have to spend a few quid on it to get there though, a couple of dual mass flywheesl if you look after them (i.e. don't labour the engine at low revs, which is counter intuitive on a diesel, and always always always depress the clutch when turning the engine on or off), just make sure you get one with a good service history and keep it up.

You'll get 200k out of the 1.9 TDi, probably more if you wanted to, you'll have to spend a few quid on it to get there though, a couple of dual mass flywheesl if you look after them (i.e. don't labour the engine at low revs, which is counter intuitive on a diesel, and always always always depress the clutch when turning the engine on or off), just make sure you get one with a good service history and keep it up.

Thanks for the heads up on that Tippex, much apprieciated

so do you think a couple of grand for 1 with around 100k on it is sensible??

It really depends on the car, if you find one that's done motorway miles and doesn't feel tired it should be fine, in my experience of higher mileage cars it's rarely the engine that is the problem, and usually everything else.

Bushes will need looking at around that sort of mileage so budget for that if they haven't been done, brakes and tyres will need checking at that mileage too as they could be brand new or ancient and worn out.

I would try a few of both out, get a feel for them and pick the car that feels the tightest and least worn out, knocks and clonks from the suspension will be fairly common on cars of that age/mileage but usually just bushes or drop links, so can be a handy bargaining tool on an otherwise decent car.

I'd be looking for a few stone chips and scratches too, and perversely hoping to find some all around, shows an honest car with original paint which should rule out any accident damage.

Depends on the year, the 2.0 Tdi is famous for having a very poor oil pump drive mechanism, which results in oil starvation and a knackered turbo to start with, then once you replace the turbo, the rest of the engine will start showing symptoms of oil starvation and excessive wear.

You don't get any warning either until the oil pressure light comes on, by which time it's too late.

I'm not sure by which year they'd fixed this issue, though I'm sure someone on here will know.

I too went from an Audi V8 unit to VAG 1.9TDi.

Mine was an A8 4.2 to a Bora 115 TDi. Bought it at 90K, drove it up until 202K. I was the main user, and it delivered about 55 mpg on the motorway trip. Engine was fine and it used no oil between services. I always turned it on with my foot on the clutch, but never off? Never heard of that one. I never had to replace the clutch though, and was very light on the clutch in traffic. The Bora was heavy on rear bushes - at £300 a pop, I needed them replacing once and the next time - I got shot of it. The car was still going strong, but the maintenance costs were eeking up and a clutch would have been in the offing soon.

Belts on them are every 60K IIRC.

Issues on them - rear bushes, MAF's and gunked up EGRs +++

Oh, you'll definitely notice the difference in sound................. They are also nigh on impossible to stall, so you can really feel the clutch bite points etc

How about keeping the V8 for weekends and driving the TDi for commuting/learning?

How about keeping the V8 for weekends and driving the TDi for commuting/learning?

Thanks for the reply cruiser,

i have pondered the idea of keeping her for the odd day out but don't really have any where for storage, as my garage has turned in to a work shop. Then there is the extra cost of 2 motors which I don't think the misses will go for (she doesn't drive and doesn't understand to love of petrol!!)

after the info from tipex I think I will steer clear of the 2.0tdi and concentrate my search for a decent 1.9tdi. (By the way thanks again tipex)

Any views on what bhp to buy, or is it easy to bump up a100bhp by a few horses? Or doesn't it matter is 100 bhp adequate for an A3/golf..

just sounds a bit under powered..

The TDI oil pump issues are only on some (some) of the early 2.0 units, because they were a modified 1.9 and they used what is effectively a hex key to drive the oil pump. They fixed that problem in 2006 and there's a retro fit oil pump for the earlier cars, that most of them will have had.

You can't crank the 1.9 100bhp unit up by much at all. If you want to map a 1.9, get a 130 or 150.

Depending on how much you want to spend, get a 2.0 TDI 140 and map it to 180, or get a 170 and map it to 195. Either way, they both end up with a load of torque and are quick enough for tractors +++

I always turned it on with my foot on the clutch, but never off?

It's just as important, the vibrations from an engine stopping are at least as strong as those from it starting, diesel engines have very high compression and stop quite abruptly, a lot of modern diesels actually have a pressure release valve to try and soften the vibrations on switching off, but if these valves get old and tired they can be much less effective.

and always always always depress the clutch when turning the engine on or off), just make sure you get one with a good service history and keep it up.

Why is this?

My 1.9tdi is at 145K. Early doors it was expensive and a nightmare. Of late, it's been absolutely fine and runs superbly.

Only use Fully Synthetic and Shell fuel though!!!!

Because dual mass flywheels are very susceptible to harsh vibrations, and starting/stopping the engine, or labouring it at very low RPM's create just the sort of vibrations the DMF's don't like, so by pressing the clutch pedal, you remove the DMF form the source of vibration.

Many cars now won't let you start the engine without the clutch pedal depressed for this very reason.

Your 1.9TDi is probably a PD engine and probably won't have a DMF anyway, my 1.9PD Skoda Superb didn't anyway.