Thinking of a BMW M235i

AZURES3

The new Golf GTI Clubsport looks tasty..... 265bhp with a 10-second over boost to 290bhp/380nm, revised chassis, 10mm lower, forged alloy wheels saving 3kgs per corner, bucket seats, Golf R brake setup and the E-Diff (VAQ) which gives real torque vectoring of the front driven wheels.... :grin:

I bet it will give the Golf R a good run for its money as its a more nimble car with better chassis setup!

Edited by Riz

In last years EVO Car of the Year, the current BMW M3 didn't fair too well, even the Golf R trumped it on the wet and twisty roads.... given that the UK suffers a lot from these kind of road conditions 4WD has its advantages and people tend to "think" its the better option sometimes. :)

Look at the mileage I do.  The cars I've owned over the last 10-12 years.  The weather conditions I have no choice but to drive in.

I've been stuck twice - with everyone else.

My 645 did a tour of Scotland in very snowy conditions as some of here will testify.  It followed an R32 no problem at all.  It really is a case of how you drive. 

We've said it many times before on here - put a set of winter tyres on any BMW and it'll leave a 4WD Audi on normal tyres for dead in winter. 

I find it very strange that you've never even tested a BMW, all because you think we get inclement weather conditions that they're not suited to.  I'll say again what I did earlier - how come so many millions of them frequent our roads every day?  It really isn't anything like the problem you think it is. 

Oh and one last thing before anything says "Blah blah, MrMe hates Audi...." - there's an Audi A1 on our drive and it is brilliant car.  I just don't see the point in telling someone a pack of bollocks when they're asking for buying advice.  Say it as it is and help someone make the right decision.+++

• Like 1

Just to hijack slightly further, but it kind of follows on. I have all kinds of thoughts about what to buy next - and one of them, seriously, is a new MX5.

There's a new one at the end of our road.  I only noticed it a few weeks ago when he was washing it.  On a 65 plate.

It prompted me to read the reviews and I was very surprised to read that they seem to have finally got it right again.  It is getting serious plaudits.

I'll get a photograph of it because it is in black and looks very fetching indeed.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

The new Golf GTI Clubsport looks tasty..... 265bhp with a 10-second over boost to 290bhp/380nm, revised chassis, 10mm lower, forged alloy wheels saving 3kgs per corner, bucket seats, Golf R brake setup and the E-Diff (VAQ) which gives real torque vectoring of the front driven wheels.... :grin:

I bet it will give the Golf R a good run for its money as its a more nimble car with better chassis setup!

Okay - answer me this.  In the spec you want it, what would the list price be?

• Like 1

Top of the range special edition MX5 - 24 grand. It's a shocking day today - I might just go and test drive one. If I like it in this weather I'll love it in summer... :P

0-60? 7.3 seconds

Power? 160PS

As real world quick as a hatchback with another 100PS? Undoubtedly. And a lot more fun.

Edited by garcon magnifique

So let's say the middle of that and around £33,000.

265 hp.

An M135i with 327 hp (what's that, 23% more power?), full Coral red leather, Alpine white, Professional media package, Drive comfort package (inc. PDC front and rear),  BMW online services, DAB, Advanced loudspeaker system, Real time traffic information, internet, privacy glass, exterior folding and dimming mirrors, the new LED headlights (they look fab), black panel display (looks fab too), front heated seats, electric seats with driver memory and the fantastic 8-speed auto sports transmission - would be £37,000 for what I've specced up to be a high spec car.

That's before the dealer gives you a minimum of 12% off it and gets you to your £33,000 Golf.

You could argue you'll get a lot off the Golf price, I don't know.  However, I've added a lot of spec to the basic price of the 135i and I've also chosen the 5 door model....

Just try one.  Then buy your Golf.  At least you'll have peace of mind.+++

• Like 1

Top of the range special edition MX5 - 24 grand. It's a shocking day today - I might just go and test drive one. If I like it in this weather I'll love it in summer... :P

0-60? 7.3 seconds

Power? 160PS

As real world quick as a hatchback with another 100PS? Undoubtedly. And a lot more fun.

Is that all they are?

Good god.  That puts a lot of other car prices into perspective.

Hmm.

• Like 1

£24,295 for the Sport Recaro. That's a special edition run of 600 so I doubt they'll be offering discount. The standard kit is mind boggling for a little two seat sports car.

If you want to go really back to the essence of a simple, lightweight sports car, the base 1.5 SE is £18,495. And some of the reviewers reckon that's the one to go for.

Just to hijack slightly further, but it kind of follows on. I have all kinds of thoughts about what to buy next - and one of them, seriously, is a new MX5.

Fantastic little car, but, like me, being a larger gentleman, little is the important word, I couldn't spend all my motoring time in one, great for a blast every now and again, but not a daily.

Edited by Tipex
  • Like 1

Riz, you do of course have DSC and a million other driver aids in the M135i. 

I don't think it'd be too much a handful.  You ease your way into these things when you get a new and much more powerful car anyway.

I'd give a different note of caution, in the interests of keeping up the preaching of honest advice, and that is to check residual prices.  I have a feeling that the GTi will be holding a good bit more money than the 135i's.  I could be wrong, and maybe a 135i owner can provide some information on that on here?

• Like 1

Dealer?  Not really a sign of residuals.  Looks like a cancelled order or one for dealer bonuses.  They'll be throwing money at it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

With sensible spec you should be trying to get below £30k new. Used facelift versions are down to around £27k (screen price). Pre-facelift maybe £21-22k for early/leggy ones. All at BMW dealers.

The fact they're offering big discounts on new suggests iffy residuals but I think they'll reach a point where reputation will hold their value up. Probably not much different to any other premium marque looking at three years old against list price.