HEAD UNIT CHANGE?

tomdymond

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

So i'd like a new head unit in the TT,not cos i'm not happy with the sound,I currently have a concert single cd,6 disc changer & Bose,but because i'd just like something with a sexier display!

Anyway my question:

Is it possible & how difficult would it be to change the head unit only and keep the changer & Bose working with it?

Someone must have done this without having to replace everything?

Any help much appreciated.

beerchug.gif

Hi - I had a TTr with bose and 6cd - i used a Sony MEX5DI headunit - this is not amplified and uses the Bose amps to produce its sound, displays dont come much sexier. Only down side is i had to bin the cd changer.

This head unit does play mp3 on cd though, which kind of makes a changer suplurfluous (sp) anyway.

Link

Yeah thats a good price, because when I brought mine they were nearly £1k!!!

You will need a couple of leads to make it work and a fitting kit.

Any standard headunit is not as wide as the TT one, so the fitting kit has a couple of filling pieces that go into each side. The leads you need are a Sony - Audi harness adaptor and a couple of ground loop cables to stop the bose amp 'popping' when you turn the power on /off.

THis unit will fit flush with the dash with soem work so that the cover still closes and makes it invisible from prying eyes.

I am not sure if TTs had a can bus or not (my Porsche had a most bus, and so aftermarket headunits wouldnt work in it very well).

IF you wanted to try one, mine is in my study unused at the moment, so happy to show you the install and how it sounds one weekend if it helps your decision.

The memory stick is a Sony quirk, and it *i think and might be wrong) only plays Attrak format off of memory stick, but plays MP3 off of cd.

I do actually have all the required leads,fitting kit etc for fitment, now sat in its box awaiting a car with an amp (obviously not having an inboard amp can be a problem afterwards).

Had no real plans on selling it, but if someone were to offer me a swap for say a Sony CDX-M1000TF, which is the model below, then I might be very tempted.