Mk 4 GTI 1.8T juddering!!!....help!!

bigman

Hi everyone, hope you can help me. My GTI is a 2000 model and has done 123,000 miles and had no probs in that time apart from now!.

About 10000 miles ago i thought the clutch was getting a bit iffy, but pressed on as its got no worse...now the problem can only be described as a small jolt.....this occurs when driving and upon releasing from the accelerator pedal, and also on the take up again....its more apparent at low speeds.

I immediately thought that it was due to a engine mount, and so changed the one above the gearbox and the bar type one undedr the engine that attaches to the subframe. A friend has the same car and his engine moves much more but does not have this problem!, so i am now wondering if it something due to the clutch???... Im sure i remember the dealer talking about a dual clutch thing or something??, and said that the clutch could also wear out the flywheel??....would this cause this jolt if it was all getting worn?, and any ideas on price to repair?.

It gets irritating as i am starting to drive very delicately on the gas so that i try to avoid the jolt!!!!.

thanks for help, it would be much appreciated!!.

Could be a leaky/faulty divertor valve. This release's turbo boost pressure upon backing off the throttle.

Very cheap to replace - about 15-25 quid from VW or Audi. very easy to replace too, takes about 5 mins.

Check to see if it is faulty, listen for a fluttering, chirpsing noise when backing off the throttle.

• 6 years later...

What is the engine code that you have? I've got a similar problem. but mine is 2000 APU, 1.8T, manual. I step on the gas pedal to floor it down, the car does not want to accelerate, then release the pedal halfway and there it goes like a rocket. Maybe there is a problem with the gas pedal itself... there are some sensors there that might do this jolt when releasing the throttle...