Just ordered a new car and it's not an Audi

Newbie123

Interesting comments.

Evo have been running a long term 3.0 and say exactly the same as you, the sport suspension is way too stiff and spoils the car. They reckon it'd be better on standard suspension but this isn't available with the 3.0 as sport suspension standard apparently.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you can't delete the sports sus on the 3.0. I think it's an option on the 2.5 and along with standard 17" wheels it's the one I'd go for (having owned a 3.0 with 18".

I don't think the run flats help either (there is no jack or even a wheel brace and no locking nuts either!!) - autocar did a tyre test and replaced them with p zero rosso's - it made a big difference to the ride quality - might be worth a try, just put a can of foam in the boot for punctures. Run flats are more to replace too.

Regards,

Tubbs.

Out of curiosity I got a 3l Z4 for 3 days, and it really did change my view of the car. Before I really did dislike the car, but after I did come round to liking it, still not sure about the whacky angles though. The engine was indeed good, there really is not performance difference between my S2000 and the Z4 3.0, although I did keep running out of revs! I loved the engine, its a far more relaxing drive than the S2000, not as sporty but very good.

There were only 3 things that I did not like. The first was the steering on less than perfect roads, the steering was VERY twitchy and it kept trying to grab the cambers and ruts in the road, on a good A road it was brilliant. The second thing that annoyed was the amount of wind in the cabin with the windows up at 60mph, it really annoyed me. The final thing was the quality of plastics used in the interior compared to other Beemers e.g. 330Ci, they did not seem up to the same standard.

For the price its good for a Beemer, but for me its a hard choice against a TTR 150 and for £25k you can get a brand new 240bhp Honda S2000 wink.gif

I have to say I thinks its a grat car. Spent 2 hours this morning driving about (enthusiastically) in a 2.5. The steering is responsive not twitchy as your saying, although never took it on country type roads. Ride is extremely comfortable, didn't feel drained at all, not bumbpy like it is in my S3 where you feel every pot/mole hole in the road !

This one only had 2000 miles on the clock and you can tell its still tight but alot better than when i first drove it at 750 miles. Get to 4k revs and power kicks in right to 6k and beyond wink.gif. The engine has a quite a sweet note to it without being petrusive one bit, extremely quiet inside the car roof up or down.

Although I agree slighly with Moff about price and value I think that the Beemer would be my every day car (only driven an S2k once though for 20 mins).

Graham

I agree with moff, the straight line stability was twitchy to say the least - like my old 328 when the tyres we're almost bald. Most cars with wide tyres twitch a bit but the Z was particularly bad. Never had the tracking checked though! (did have it from new and I didn't kerb it so don't suspect it to be tracking)

I was in at Birds UK last week getting some stuff installed in the ZM Coupe and Matt the MD showed me the 'run flat' tyres and how much heavier they are over a standard tyre. If you want to change tyres once you get the car then they are certainly worth speaking to as they have tried out most tyre/wheel combinations on nearly all BMWs and Mercs over the years and are 'Gods' in setting up a car's handling/ride to suit an individual...! notworthy.gif

• 1 month later...

Well I've sorted the wheel situation out as I knew I wouldn't be able to live with only 16" alloys. I collected these 18" ones yesterday after buying them from a chap on the Z4 forum , who also happens to have a gallery on here (thanks Dan 169144-ok.gif if you read this) The best bit though is that they've got normal tyres fitted rather than the dreaded run-flats.

Just need the car now smashfreakB.gif

Here's a pic grin.gif...........

2ndpic.sized.jpg