Plastic key, what is it for?

Frodo

My understanding of the plastic key is this.

It is to keep in your wallet so if you lose your car key you can still use your car.

It will unlock the car manually even if locked with the normal key (no "plip" function of course so you have to stick in in the door lock and turn it) and it will start the car (has an immobilisor transponder).

As it has no "plip" function it will not turn off the alarm when you unlock the car, however if you insert it into the ignition and turn ignition on it will stop the alarm from sounding.

I've certainly heard nothing about it only working two or three times and it's not a valet key as it will do or access all that a normal key will, just not by remote control like the plip function.

Valet keys are keys that just operate the door and ignition so you can give these to a valet and he can't get into the boot or glovebox (if locked). Valet keys have all but died off due to central locking on modern cars meaning that everything unlocks automatically anyway.

So it is just a key to keep in your wallet in case of emergency. I took mine in my wallet when I went to France with the car earlier this year (plus gave girlfriend the spare key).

I was told that the plastic key is a spare key for cases when you lose your key, the battery in the key goes flat or you drop the key resulting in a broken transponder.

If I remember correctly, the dealer adviced to first stick the plastic key in the ignition (transponder sends signal) and then use the normal key to actually start the car (this applies to the case when the normal key's transponder for some reason doesn't work).

• 2 months later...

sounds like you just gaffa tape it somehere secret and hope you remember where when you come out of the pub so pissed you've given your keys to the landlady and now you need somewhere to sleep cos surely plod can't get you if you can't start the engine with it - or can he cos he won't follow this will he?