POLO GTI - CLUTCH/GEARBOX ISSUE **LEGAL ACTION**

benson01

People, has someone of you guys tuned the engine?

I'm interested in some easy and/or cheap solution. I've heard about the PowerBox: what is it exactly? Where can I find it? How much does it cost? What do you think about it (or other solutions)?

Cheers,

Ascanio.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, my car has been in since october...I bearly can remember what color it was...!

(and in fact some stupid cop has given me a fine for illegal parking while the car was in...I want to find out who this guy is and give him a present!)

Anyway, they told me that the delay (I have given the final OK about one month ago to change clutch and gears) is that they just have too much work to do (and I wasn't there to bother them all the time, pushing them to do mine first).

Let's see how it works out: I still have both ESP and CHECK leds on, I know that ESP is due to accelerator sensor breakdown, but still have to find out what's wrong in the fuel input system (that's where they think the fault is).

Cheers!

Ascanio.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started this post a few months back...and it's still running I see! I've changed my Polo for a Civic Type R since then. Just thought i'd cheer up those of you wrestling with the Polo's gearbox issue, because guess what I've got with my CTR? That's right: gearbox trouble. See Honda's do break too. I'm having notchy 1st and 2nd gear changes, and Honda tell me it needs a new synchromesh or something. Gearboxes eh!

I am so relieved to find out that I'm not the only person to have had problems - my car is currently still in the hands of my local dealer (macclesfield). it's a 2000 polo GTI, only done 42,000 miles and the gearbox has failed. they are now trying to charge me £1800 to replace it (most of which is for labour - cheek!)but i complained as the problem only seemed to occur immediately after I drove it away from its 40,000 mile service! plus, I'd just spent nearly £1000 replacing all the tyres and the brake discs and pads! VW customer service said they'd only offer anything in the way of "goodwill" if it turned out there was a technical failure..... which, to find out, would cost me another £611 to have the gearbox stripped. When I asked about the recall incident, they said this had absolutely no bearing on the clutch or gears - not what my recall letter said. They are liars. Can't believe it! After a fuming letter, my dealer is now only offering me a "reconditioned" gearbox at £800, and says that if I want to take it up any further then I'll have to go through VW Cust Service, as the dealerships only deal with service and not product issues. Which is what I am going to do, using the information from this forum as supporting argument! I am actually training as a solicitor at the moment, and think the idea of taking this thing all the way to the top is a good idea.... I'm already drafting letters to watchdog and top gear; a petition/ expansive database of people documenting all their problems would also be good if there is anyway of getting hold of one. Anyone else got any other ideas??

Just come over from uk polos to let you know the problems that i've had with my polo gti.

My pedal box snapped before the recall was done and i had to pay for it as the car was outwith warranty, however, when the recall came about they refunded the money and checked that it was the correct part that was fitted. Shortly after this i was driving the car into a yard when the brakes failed (luckily it was a long yard and i wasn't going too fast) got it into the dealers and the new pedal box had failed but this time it had snapped at the brake pedal and not the clutch pedal. Just shortly after they replaced a new pedal box the clutch went totally which i had to pay to get replaced.

So as you can imagine i wasn't best pleased with my gti but since then it has been running like a dream (touch wood).

cheers

Chris

post-8716-137914302803_thumb.jpg

hey guys, im also from UK Polos, got myself a 200 Polo GTI and suffice to say ive had all the same problems. Needed new clutch after the pedal pox got replaced which they wouldnt give me any money off of, also my gearbox is now playing up, 2nd gear is well gay and sometimes 'chunks into gear. Cud it just be the gear linkages that i need redoing???

anywayz add me to this list of names if you want : Glenn Page

I have to admit to clutch problems after the pedal box recall too! Before the recall all was fine, then a few weeks after the recall work my clutch cable had to be replaced after the auto-adjuster snapped and I lost the ability to change gears frown.gif

Reverse gear is now a right pain, it goes in fine but 95% of the time makes a lovely crunch making me look like a learner driver, ha ha! blush.gif

Apart from that though... all OK, although sometimes when driving about the place I do worry about whether or not my gearbox is just gonna fall apart one day... ROLLEY~14.GIF

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I finally got mine back after paying € 1375.00 ( € 100 of which were for "parking" the car: for those of you who didn't follow my story, I had to pay 100/month for "parking" 'till I found the money to pay the garage...).

By the way, 1.5 months had passed between the "parking" charge was established and when I told them I had the money, and they wanted to charge me € 265.00 instead of € 150.00. Taking in account that it took them 2 months to repair the car, AFTER I told them I had the money...I shouldn't have payed any "parking", but I didn't manage to take it below € 100.00.

Anyway: NEW clutch and NEW gear parts (all but the gears: bearings, compasses, sinchronization etc...), I also told them to pay attention while registering the gears as my 4th had a very annoying stick jerking.

To be noticed: one reason of the extremely long delay in the repair is the fact that one sinchro mechanism (for the 3rd gear) replacement failed and they had to re-order it! (this is crap..)

I have done about 900Km in 2 days since I have the car, and as at first the gears were impossible to shift and very, very, very, very hard, now it's getting better, but this is what I get:

1) it is almost always difficult to get it into 1st (sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 times...it just doesn't do the last "click" into the gear, and I don't dear release the clutch to hear the painfull KRKRKRKRKRKRKR);

2) the rear gear is just like before: the only way to get it in, is to first go into 1st, which is a pain in the but too... otherwise I just get KRKRKRKRKRKRKRKRKR.

3) 2nd gear is hard and notchy both upwards and downwards, unless I rev the engine, but the pedals are too apart to let me downshift as I should while braking...I manage to do it in much cheaper cars!

4) 3rd gear is fantastic, but a bit too noisy around 3000rpm when using engine brake.

5) 4th gear is just like 2nd, hard and notchy.

6) fifth is pretty good now.

Yesterday morning when I got into my car after having left it out all night, I tryed to get it into neutral to start the engine and I couldn't manage to pop it out of 1st....it was just glued to it: it took me a real good pull to get it out (really hard).

Plus I sometimes hear a rattling noise from under the engine when I am at the stoplights: I think there's some loose piece under there...

VW: NEVER MORE! (but I live my GTI....I know it's going to make me, and my wallet cry for good)

--- I ordered a Lupo GTI shift knob (obviously the 5-gear version) which has the "GTI" (with a red "I") brand on the top, instead of the stupid thin chromed ring... I like it much more!

--- And they told me what's the cause of my "ESP" and "CHECK" leds being on: the side-accelleration sensor has failed, it's a kit of 3 sensors planted just next to the stearing cam, and it costs € 350.00, plus fitting, plus convergence of the stearing: about € 450.00 just to have my ESP back (which I don't need, I always switch it off anyway) and kill the f___ing CHECK led!

Ah...another thing: my clutch and accellerator pedals are periodically vibrating annoyingly... (the accellerator gets nice and smooth after a few hours of high speed driving on highways, at 6000rpm or more).

Actually all the car is better after having stripped it on the highway...the gears become lovingly soft too!

Cheers,

Ascanio.

• 5 months later...

has anyone had a successful reply from VW re gearbox problems??

My dad has a 2000 Polo & had to get the gearbox replaced. The car had only done just under 27,000 miles. We wrote to VW nd they never got back in touch so we went to a national newspaper who did get a reply but VW said that as the car was out of warranty and had not been serviced at an authorised VW dealer they would not pay anything.

There is no way a gerabox should need to be replaced at this mileage and the servicing comment holds no water as there is no work done on the gearbox!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. This cost my old man over £1200!!!!

Cheers

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, have had my GTI from new in 2001. GEarbox started feeling a bit stiff then two weeks ago a huge bandsaw noise came and the gearbox casing cracked. Apparently my sincromesh had gone and none of my gears had any teeth left on them. All due to a faulty bearing.

My car has done 76,000 miles, but even still I wouldn't have expected the gearbox to go so spectacularly.

Has anyone else had a similar diagnosis?

• 2 weeks later...