MkV GTi

Smudge

Trust me, I'm not suggesting for one second that the Golf GTI is any kind of rival for your M3.

But it is immensly more desirable than a Honda or a Renault (fine cars though they are in their own right) and therefore well worth the extra piffling couple of grand it commands over them. grin.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

In January I will arrange to test the Megane and the Golf back to back - and then also give you an honets opinion.

I do see all the points about the Golf (although I am still not convinced that the entry price is right wink.gif) but I love the look of the Megane and have heard plently of good things about it. Also heard plenty of not so good things - so a drive of both is very necessary grin.gif

Ari wrote

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

£20k for a Golf? It's a Golf. Says it all. Not worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

£40K for a BMW 3 Series? Its a BMW 3 Series. Says it all. Not worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nicely highlighted Ari.

M3Changing wrote

[ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you straight - would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

God yes. Would not go mad on the options list though.

Ian C

Just to put this right...

The differences between an M3 and even the top normal 3 series (330Ci) are much much greater than the differences between the Golf GTi and its closest stablemate.

For a start, those that know the M cars will know all their engineering is done at a completely different factory.

There may be interior similarities - but that is where it ends.

Look it up on the web if you wish - you'll find I'm correct.

[ QUOTE ]

The differences between an M3 and even the top normal 3 series (330Ci) are much much greater than the differences between the Golf GTi and its closest stablemate.

For a start, those that know the M cars will know all their engineering is done at a completely different factory.

[/ QUOTE ] You are correct grin.gif

Riz 169144-ok.gif

When People say the Golf is the only 'GTI'...I'd say well it would have been if VW took that crown seriously back in the early 90's....

They didn't I'm afraid to say that Renault and Peugeot took that crown with the like of the Clio Williams, Pug 306 GTI etc...Just because VW have got it right again now 15 years later doesn't mean they deserve it...

Its all My opinion though... VW had its day in the 80's and very early 90's (the 205 GTI might have a laugh at that) but they have done nothing and I mean nothing untill now to merit being the Kind Of GTI and even this could be debated.. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of which completely misses my point. You state that the Golf GTI cannot be worth the money as it is "just a Golf".

To which I say that one could equally argue that the M3 is "just a 3 Series".

Both statements are equally incorrect, the Golf GTI is so much more than "just a Golf", just as the M3 is, as you correctly point out, so much more than "just an M3".

However, if you prefer, a 330i Sport is "just a 3 series", but is equally a lot more money than a 318i, juist as a Golf GTI is a lot more than a base Golf.

My point still stands, the top range versions of any car are typically a lot more than the base models... crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

When People say the Golf is the only 'GTI'...I'd say well it would have been if VW took that crown seriously back in the early 90's....

They didn't I'm afraid to say that Renault and Peugeot took that crown with the like of the Clio Williams, Pug 306 GTI etc...Just because VW have got it right again now 15 years later doesn't mean they deserve it...

Its all My opinion though... VW had its day in the 80's and very early 90's (the 205 GTI might have a laugh at that) but they have done nothing and I mean nothing untill now to merit being the Kind Of GTI and even this could be debated.. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this, the Golf GTI in the early days was an icon, lately its been no more than a marketing badge and a bad joke.

This is why the latest version being (apparently) such a massive return to form is such good news. beerchug.gif

Ari, I ended my comments on this posting my saying I will be arranging a drive in every comparable hot hatch that has a basic price of sub £20k - and I will still do this.

Then, I'll post the results and my verdict.

But, I still think £20k is ridiculous for a Golf GTI - and I am not alone.

Earlier today, a VW Fanatic who works for me commented on Top Gears award of Best Car to the GTI. He remarked "probably deserves it, but for £20k I would rather spend my money elsewhere".

The point is £20k may buy you the best hot hatch,perhaps. However, at £20k list, alot of peoplestart to think "Hmm, well what else could I have for that money - maybe I need to look beyond a hot hatch" - and thats exactly what he was thinking.

I'll still do the reviews of every car though. Kills a Saturday!

[ QUOTE ]

Ari, I ended my comments on this posting my saying I will be arranging a drive in every comparable hot hatch that has a basic price of sub £20k - and I will still do this.

Then, I'll post the results and my verdict.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this will be very interesting, and I look forward to reading how you get on. But whilst I think that there are "more fun" cars than the Golf for a 1/2 hour test drive blast, the Golf probably makes more sense from an ownership proposition, and as such its true merits would only shine after a month, not an hour...

[ QUOTE ]

The point is £20k may buy you the best hot hatch,perhaps. However, at £20k list, alot of peoplestart to think "Hmm, well what else could I have for that money - maybe I need to look beyond a hot hatch" - and thats exactly what he was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so what would you have for £20K instead of the Golf GTI? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

All he said was that he could have a proper car like a BMW or Merc

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can't, not one that goes! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

or (his words, not mine) a second hand Mazda with those *****r engines in them...(!!!!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! smashfreakB.gif

Was at dinner last night, works do. A lady who works for me's boyfriend was telling me he's just ordered one.

He's gone for metallic black, full leather, centre armrest and heated seats. He's a real car enthusiast (ie not just a poseur who buys a badge) and had done all the homework, bought all the mags, read all the reviews of the Golf and the competition, and felt that for a quality performance car there was nothing else out there to touch it.

Oh, and guess what his last car was....

A BMW M3!!! yelrotflmao.gif

(Ok so it was the older E36 model, but it made me chuckle! grin.gif)

Not just a poser who buys a badge?

Cheeky s*d.

And he had an E36 M3? Well I'll tell you something that I suspect you know - the only reason he isn't buying an other is because he can't damn well afford one.

You seriously trying to tell me that if he had an option on an E46 M3 or a Golf GTI that he'd take the Golf?

Who are you trying to be today Ari? A comedian I suspect.

Ya know, if I didn't know better, I'd say that type of "choice comment" could have only been made by someone who would be silly enough to do something such as, say, lower the roof of a cabrio whilst in a blizzard to fit something like a pre-planned electrical purchase in? Say, a TV for example. No-one would be that stupid. Only someone who could mention a Golf in the same statement as an M3 when questioning choice that is... 169144-ok.gif