[Audi A3/S3] coil packs

Tomk

if you have read my other post i am having a poss problem with my car, i do every now and again get a foul smell , and from reading old posts belive this could be the coil packs, the think is i thought when they go performance really did go and driving the car could be shocking, could they be slightly out making the car 'not quite feel right' ? is so how much are they to replace ? im going to get my cambelt done in the next 6 weeks or so anyways, thanks in advance guys, oh car is 98R so out of warrenty so i pay the bills frown.gif though dont go to audi as they are £££££

The rotten egg smell is caused by excess sulphur being burnt off in the catalytic converter, which usually happens when there is a rich fuel mixture.

This happened to me when one of my coil packs failed, but there was a big drop in performance too as it was only running on three cylinders. Since you haven't had a big drop in performance, then maybe it's down a sensor problem which is causing too much fuel to be injected?