early timing belt failure

Rudy

I've got a '00TT with 65k on it and the timing belt which should be good for at least 90 has apparently broken or snapped or something. They're gonna have to take the whole thing apart to see what kind of damage it's caused. Cost 3-4 thou!! Does this sound right? I called Audi and they were definitely noncommital. Any thoughts? Thanks

heard a few cases of this recently i am afraid on the TT-Forum.co.uk

seems there is a trend for early failure, and the general opinion was, armed with this knowledge and hindsight is not to let them pass 55k, and get them done earlier rather than later.

sorry this doesnt help you much.

• 1 month later...

If there is major damage to the head & components then the cost sounds about right unfortunately. You might be entitled to a 'goodwill' discount though, if your TT has full Audi history.

Audi recommend doing the timing belt service every 80k miles but if your car's had a particularly eventful life then it's probably a good idea to do it sooner. It's worth having the water pump done at the same time too, as the plastic impellers have a tendency to crack.

Not TT, but 1996 A6 - broke at 74,000 / 3 years old - interval 80,000.

Be careful - I think you might find Audi saying the interval have a time limit aswell as mileage and could be 4 years, in which case you have probably overstepped the mark. They will say that the belt will perish and even if the mileage is below the interval, it still needs to be changed before the time limit.

My A6 was within both (but outside original Audi warranty) - and nobody was interested.

£4000 sounds like a lot if the damage is restricted to valve damage. Ensure you have them specify what damage has occured.

Matt

Matt