Anyone in Val D'Isere March 19th-22nd?

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, anyone got any tips for driving to Val from Turin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brake at the bendy bits and go fast on the straight bits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was toying with the idea of putting the word "sensible" in the sentance somewhere grin.gif

The last time I breaked on a straight bit during the trip upto Val, I ended up crashing on to the round about tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was toying with the idea of putting the word "sensible" in the sentance somewhere grin.gif

The last time I breaked on a straight bit during the trip upto Val, I ended up crashing on to the round about tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Best let James do the driving then eh mate wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best let James do the driving then eh mate wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like this :

343556-ValD%27Isere-Torino.jpg

I could e-mail you the "turn by turn" from my mapsource if you want... grin.gif

post-2372-137914295878_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Meribel. Drove down there with an overnight stop in Reims week last Friday, left Reims at 7am and arrived Meribel, just 500 miles (15 non motorway) but took 11 hours due to massive traffic jams south of Dijon into the Alps and some pretty heavy snow falling that meant stopping to put chains on less than half a mile from the chalet after the poor old A4 just couldn't make another hairpin bend with/without ESP.

Don't rely on a map programme to estimate the time in and out of the Alps when it's snowing!

Did the 700 mile journey back last night in one go. Left Meribel at 9am, arrived in Essex at 1am after a good lunch stop and dinner in St Quentin.

Pics and review to follow. Excellent snow conditions and no broken bones.

[ QUOTE ]

Snow News for Austria - last updated on 28 February 2005

A dusting of new snow fell over the weekend in approximately a third of Austrian resorts, and has now ceased. There is good skiing in Niederau (60/80cm) after 8cm of snow refreshed the slopes yesterday and the sun has now emerged – great visibility, but it is extremely cold. The only answer is ski hard to stay warm! A pleasant 10cm of snow accumulated in Axamer Lizum (25/155cm) and Kirchberg (65/158cm) has 14cm. Most of Austria is enjoying glorious sunshine but ferociously cold temperatures. Coldest at present is Obergurgl, at –28C! Hintertux (50/240cm), Zurs (155/210cm), Solden (35/185cm) and St Anton (85/280cm) are running close behind. Take plenty of hot chocolate breaks to warm up and defrost the extremities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold snow is fast....

I cannot wait......

[ QUOTE ]

do you want me to e-mail you the .prn file for turn by turn (for you to print). I assume you are going form the airport ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate.

Each time I do a route on the net I get a different result grin.gif

I'll PM me addy.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Ben, if you get the time and it is not closed due to bad weather (snow!), the trip to Turin via the mountain road over Mont Cenis (or Monte Cenisio as the Italians call it) is a driving and panoramic delight. Far better than going thru the tunnel at Frejus anyway.

Col De L'Iseran (the quick route) is closed all winter usually, that's probably the one you're on about chap. It would cut loads out of the journey time but we're having to take the long route frown.gif

Still quite scenic though grin.gif

All the best mate, and I'll have a pint for you,

Ben