Loss of power on TDI PD : P1557 fault code help...

nksparky

Hi Guys,

My 2001 TDI PD Bora goes into limp mode when at speed and under heavy load. I'v emanaged to get the fault code from VAG COM : P1557 : Charge Pressure Control : Positive Deviation.

So far I've checked all vacuum hoses and the actuator rod seems free enough. Any help on what else this may be ?

Would a problem with the N75 solanoid or a clogged intake cause this ?

Cheers....

• 1 month later...

I've checked the Intake Manifold and EGR and they were fairly clean (now spotless). I also swapped the EGR control valve with the Boost pressure control valve and I still got the same limp mode code - boost pressure positive deviation.

I've also checked the various hoses that link the various valves and turbo actuator. Some are a little frayed but I can't detect any leaks.

Is there anything else that is a likely candidate for causing this ? I now have VAG COM so if there are any easy diagnosis tips, I'd be very grateful....

Can anyone help I have a 2000 130 tdi passat, when driving the car loses power if you turn the key off the car will regain power for a short time. There are no management lights on and the car still drives. My local garage has changed the air mass flow meter and has told me it is either the ecu or the turbo?? the turbo seems to be whistling fine. Can anyone help as its driving me mad

The ECU controls the turbo. But I doubt very much whether either of these are faulty. I presume from your post that the Garage hasn't conected the car up to a diagnostic computer? If they had, then there'd be a fault code which would be stored in the memory of the ECU, indicating possible causes of this.

What you're suffering from is "Limp mode". The ECU shuts down the turbo if it senses a problem with a number of other sensors and components. The ECU and the turbo are not faulty but the garage doesn't know this yet. I wouldn't let them start changing the 2 most expensive parts of the system without discounting some other stuff first.

Do a search for limp mode, or have a manual search through the VW section and see what you come up with.