Passat 130 TDI question!

activa

Went to look at a 130 TDI this morning for my friends Dad.

Car looked nice and hadn't had any major body repairs.Had 75k on the clock and had been company owned and therefore all main dealer servicing and repairs.

Everything was looking rosey until the test drive.

It felt gutless to be honest and I need to know whether I was expecting too much from it or if it had a problem.Now I realise that 130bhp in that weight car is not loads but I assumed that the torque would be very noticable.However,it wasn't! It almost felt like the turbo went to spin-up and then decided not to.

Any views would be appreciated as the perspective buyer really liked the car and I'll feel bad if I put him off it without good reason!

Thing is,it was replaced at main agent after 25k or something like that,so I would question whether it was already shot again.By the same token,I was shocked it had needed one so early in its life anyway.After all,they can't be running that much boost and so should be fairly unstressed.

Oh well,I guess we'll find him one elsewhere!

Oh I see,didn't know it was that dear to replace and that is a very helpful pointer when I take him to view others.

I say that 'cos this one is losing its appeal the more I think about it.Whenever I've sold a car I've always made sure it's as good as poss. when being viewed-and that it is at least running right.If this guy couldn't be bothered to sort it then he doesn't deserve his profit anyway.And if he couldn't sort it,then it's probably not worth having.

Just for the record,what's the VNT? Is this the VAG actuator or something? confused.gif

VNT = Variable Nozzle Turbine. A vaccuum operated system which changes the airflow over the Turbo blades to give more boost when required.

27019turbo_jpg.gif

This is what it does. If the moveable vanes get carboned up, then the system doesn't move when full boost is called for, and no power.

• 4 weeks later...

just to chip in, althought this thread may be dead. i have a passat pd 130 tdi 2001 and it goes well when the turbo kicks in. you can def' tell when it does!

mine however stops working after a little while, it seem to be when it gets hot. can anyone suggest any likely causes and the cheapest way to sort it. i'm not to bad with a spanner.

thanks for a quick response.

for the first few minutes, if the engine is cold, the turbo comes in at about 2000 revs and everything seems fine, plenty of power. then, i guess when it gets hot, the turbo does not seem to operate at all, no sound of it starting and no power at any rev level.

Sounds like you're getting limp mode.

Do you know anyone with "Vag com" who can scan your ECU for fault codes?

Have a read at this thread, and see if any thing sounds like what you're getting. The engine isn't the same, but the principle doesnt differ really for this purpose. All the VNT control system is the same.

hi there,

i have had a good read like you suggest and it def' seems like limp mode. i understand that i should check the movement on the VNT? should be 3/4 inch when reving. check vacum hoses and pull off the one on the EGR? valve and plug it. should this stop the fault or should it make no drifference and if it does then that is at fault? can you tell me where these are on my vechile please/////////. not got a workshop manuel yet.