Intercoolers

Dave

Guys,

I have a basic understanding of how an engine works, with the fuel being sprayed into the engine via the injectors , it being ignited by the spark plugs , creating the bang and off we go. I also understand how turbo's work in that they force more air into the cylinder and with more fuel you get a bigger explosion and hence more power.

My question is.. where does the intercooler come in and where is it situated in the engine?. Do all turbocharged engines have an intercooler??

Thanks fro any help

regards

Dave laugh.gif

Dave,

Intercoolers sit between the turbo and the inlet manifold to cool the air that has been 'charged' by the turbos.

This results in a higher 'charge' density into the inlet manifold, which allows the engine to produce more power.

This is the same effect as you have with a turbo car on a cold day - more power. The engine is breathing cooler, more dense air so more gets in basically and it produces more power.

Intercoolers are sited in clean, cool airflow at the front of the engine, usually in front of the water radiator or ahead of the front wheel arches.

Most turbocharged engines have them because they are a 'something for nothing' gain.

I hope this helps.

David

yup. in compressing the air.... it heats up.

Intercoolers help bring the charge temp back down.

Most of the Audi's have two intercoolers. in series...

cools once, then off through another pipe to be cooled again in the next one.

cooler air = more power.

hence sat in traffic in summer is noooooo goood, when you start to get going again