tyre wear on R32 - comments please

jimmyt180975

1) The original tyres (Michellin Pilot Sports) lasted 20500 miles on my car before they reached the Treadwear indicator. Tyre wear was 100% the same across all the tyres. I swapped front to back when the tyres had done 6000 miles, which must have helped balance out the tyre wear

2) Most people say for safety reasons that you should change all the tyres at once as the car is semi-automatically 4wd.

3) Tyre costs at current prices are:

Michellin Pilot sports - Approx £140/tyre

Goodyear F1 GSD3 - Approx £110 fitted

The Michellin Pilot Sports are being slowly replaced now by the newer Pilot Sport2, so prices may be the same or alittle more.

I chose to go for Goodyear F1's after they recieved 1st prize in Autocar's (2004)tyre test.

I only got 11k miles out the front Michs. They had about 2/5mm left on the thought but they were pi55 so I changed for Bridgestone Potenza Re050As.

The rear Michs had a good 6mm left in them so they got sold on.

The bridgestone have a much better wear indicator and provide much better grip in the wet than the Michs.

You need to run the same size, make and tread pattern on all 4 corners as the car is 4WD. Its not permie WD but its using the Haldex all the time so you need to treat the car as if it were a proper 4WD.

smile.gif

Got 17.5k out of my original set, but they were REALLY worn.

Went for same again and it all seems fine to me,

Don't know how to compare different tyres as one always takes knackered ones off and puts new ones on - so the new ones feel good whatever they are! (To me, anyway).

That said, the lack of wet-road-grip in the old ones brought the driving experience closer to some other cars I have had!

[ QUOTE ]

Plenty of wear left on mine @ 13.5k although fronts were slightly more worn so got the garage to swap them around for me..think I need to switch the ESP off more often

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ross, you need to press the LOUD PEDDLE more!!

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Plenty of wear left on mine @ 13.5k although fronts were slightly more worn so got the garage to swap them around for me..think I need to switch the ESP off more often

[/ QUOTE ]

No Ross, you need to press the LOUD PEDDLE more!!

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, exactly. I never turn off the ESP and only got 11k outa mine. Might have got about 2k more but the grip was gone even with 2.5mm left on the fronts.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

3) Tyre costs at current prices are:

Michellin Pilot sports - Approx £140/tyre

Goodyear F1 GSD3 - Approx £110 fitted

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm up for new rubber myself - went to go get the front wheels re-balanced, and found both fronts had aggressively worn on the inner edges, the metal belt just showing on the LHF, and a nice fine line of highly polished belt showing on the RHF... So I'm on temporary fronts (the original rear F1s that were punctured and plugged) till my order arrives.

RRP Prices here were (per tyre for 225/40ZR18 92Y):

$676.50 - Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (off the Oz website)

$500.00 - Conti Sports

$480.00 - Goodyear F1 GSD3 (but none are available)

$500.00 - Yokohama AVS V102

$370.00 - Yokohama AVS V550

So I've ordered 4x V550s to try out as blowing $2000+ every 20,000 km (not miles!) is a bit rich.

426012-VS550.jpg

I've also got the car booked in for a full 4 wheel Hamilton Standard laser alignment next week, just to verify the factory camber/toe settings are indeed what my car has. Oh, and to align the 4 wheels. smile.gif

I had mentioned in previous posts that I was considering Falkens, but I did some research today with the NRMA (a motorists association), AAMI (my insurer) and the RTA (the government). It seems the load ratings on the tyre must be complied with at all times here in Australia - so the fact my rears are 225/40 ZR 18 88W makes them technically illegal and may void my insurance if found on the car in an accident. The big issue is that manufacturers of the tyre mandated n the placard on the fuel lid (225/40 ZR 18 92Y) are becoming scarce, and the tyres more so... This limited me to basically the 5 listed above. Moving up to say a 235/40 would get me additional manufacturers like Bridgestone (with their excellent S03), but I'm trying to keep the exterior attributes of the car as stock as possible at the moment.

Anyone out there had experience of the Yokohamas?

Anyone also had experience of the suspension geometry causing tyre wear more towards the inside of the tyre?

post-4885-137914308609_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone also had experience of the suspension geometry causing tyre wear more towards the inside of the tyre?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have experience of Yokos on teh R32 but I always used to have Yokos and found them excellent - very grippy, great in the wet, long lasting and good value for money - they are probably what I would put on my car when I need new tyres so I would be interested in any feedback you have (I used to have 510/520/530s)

I had the alignment checked on my car after I bought it (as I am always suspicious of this) but to be fair on VW it was spot on - I find that once it is spot on it stays spot on, but if it is a bit out it seems to get worse.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Martin

No problem - I'll post my opinion on the Yoko's when they're on and done a few kms for you folk.

The reason for slightly more wear on the RHF than the LHF is the roads here in Canberra have LOTS of roundabouts, many on 80/90km/h stretches of road. As we drive on the LH side, hooking through these suckers loads up the LHF of the car quite a lot, and correspondingly the inner side of the RHF tyre. Hence the fraction more wear that was noted.

Most Canberra cars that are "driven well" need LHF wheel bearings replaced every 8-10 years. Better drivers need to do it earlier than that! smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have experience of Yokos on teh R32 but I always used to have Yokos and found them excellent - very grippy, great in the wet, long lasting and good value for money - they are probably what I would put on my car when I need new tyres so I would be interested in any feedback you have (I used to have 510/520/530s)

I had the alignment checked on my car after I bought it (as I am always suspicious of this) but to be fair on VW it was spot on - I find that once it is spot on it stays spot on, but if it is a bit out it seems to get worse.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been running Yoko Parada Spec 2 for 20k, since replacing the original Mich at 26k.

The Yokos have not lasted as long, but I didn't think they would as they are softer. These Parada 2 are fine in the dry & wet as far as grip is concerned but in the wet they are not happy when asked to move large amounts of water...there is a tendancy to lift and go light which is a bit iffy at times.

I have run 510s, 520s & 539s on mk2 & mk3 golfs and found them very good [excelent in the wet with 520 & 539], but the Paradas were a bit of a let-down.

Also the Paradas are noisy and get worse with miles....they have worn on the inside edge on the front ...and on the rear the inside edge blocks have twisted,worn wedge shaped and started to open [split] in the centre of the blocks.

I am now going with Vredestein Ultracs....will report again in 20k or so...

cheers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It seems the load ratings on the tyre must be complied with at all times here in Australia - so the fact my rears are 225/40 ZR 18 88W makes them technically illegal and may void my insurance if found on the car in an accident. The big issue is that manufacturers of the tyre mandated n the placard on the fuel lid (225/40 ZR 18 92Y) are becoming scarce, and the tyres more so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rachel,

I would imagine you must be able to move up the load index, as this would indicate the tyre can carry more weight - maybe this would give you more choice ?

http://www.yokohamatire.com/utspeed.asp

No. The problem is that just getting a 92Y load rated 225/40ZR18 tyre is a challenge as i mentioned previously. I have been unable to find any of this size with a higher rating in my (casual) research.

If I move up a tyre size to say 235/40ZR18 - there are several that offer 93Y and 95Y ratings but I'll only consider that if I give in to temptation and go to 19" rims.

The new rubber arrived at 2:30 today and I was getting it on the car at 3:15pm. Immediately noticeable difference when driving home down the highway was that they ARE much quieter, and there is more grip and resistance to direction change (straight line tracking with hands off the wheel @ 1?0km/h was brilliant!) so turn initiation requires noticeably more effort.

The tyre guys (Pat's Tyres in Mitchell in the ACT) will also check them for me @ 5K km, and do a flip of the tyre on the rim @ 10K km and mount them on the opposite side to even out the camber induced wear across the tyre surface. 169144-ok.gif

Oh, and I ended up paying only $350/corner fitted and balanced! ECLIPSe.gif

My MPS's lasted 19k miles on the front and I replaced them with Goodyear F1's. I still have the MPS's on the back and the car has now done 29k with 2 track days and there is still plenty of tread left. When I replace them (after my next track day in June) I will be putting F1's on to match the front.