Testing 0-60

felixthecat1

I was out this morning quite early and decided as I drove down an empty straight piece of road with open parkland on both sides to test the 0-60mph time on my Volvo. Ya see I've fitted a Pipercross filter and an Ecotech valve, just wondering you understand. The official time is 8.8 seconds. To my amazement with just one run, phone Blutaced to dash, I managed in in exactly 8.0 seconds dead and it was a crap run too. Just goes to show what £80.00 can do. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Were you reading 0-60 or 0-62 though? Did you allow for speedo over-read too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I did. What do you take me for? Look, this was a carefully executed experiment under the exacting condition of a whim.

I can't figure out how to post the footage or I'd post it for you. Sorry. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've got a little G-Tech device which is supposed to measure it on g-forces. Tried it on my Fiesta when the engine was running right and its 0-60 reading was pretty much spot on what Ford claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one of them and every time i've tried it up the pod it allways been spot on or a 100th of a second off. Not bad for a unit you can pick up for less than £50 now.

Best time for me is 4.4 to 60MPH with my caddy

[ QUOTE ]

Ditch the Eco-tech valve. They are a little device the fit in the servo line and is a controled air leak. Which makes no difference what so ever.

Sorry to say about it, but better you know! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it makes the car much more responsive. Perhaps it's just me. I should get someone to turn it on or off without telling me so I can see if I spot the difference. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've got one of them and every time i've tried it up the pod it allways been spot on or a 100th of a second off. Not bad for a unit you can pick up for less than £50 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know, esp since mine only cost me £10 second hand grin.gif

If you want to try it out Tian then I'd be happy to lend you it, just chuck in a quid to cover postage when you send it back.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ditch the Eco-tech valve. They are a little device the fit in the servo line and is a controled air leak. Which makes no difference what so ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it makes the car much more responsive. Perhaps it's just me. I should get someone to turn it on or off without telling me so I can see if I spot the difference. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one of these on my 16v Astra and I couldn't believe the difference it made. Before the engine could be pretty lumpy and didn't really like hitting the top revs, but now it feels a lot smoother and more willing at higher revs. Emissions have cleaned up a tad too according to my MOT tester.

Well worth the money I paid 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know, esp since mine only cost me £10 second hand grin.gif

If you want to try it out Tian then I'd be happy to lend you it, just chuck in a quid to cover postage when you send it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a true gent. The Tribe and I are going on holiday week after next so I'll hold off on the offer for now. wink.gif. But please do expect a PM when we get back. Thanks again. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one of these on my 16v Astra and I couldn't believe the difference it made. Before the engine could be pretty lumpy and didn't really like hitting the top revs, but now it feels a lot smoother and more willing at higher revs. Emissions have cleaned up a tad too according to my MOT tester.

Well worth the money I paid 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you how they work.

They are a controled air leak that lets air into the engine. BUT they only let air into the engine when high levels of vacuum are persent in the inlet system.

High levels of vacuum only appear on tick-over or over-run (when the vlave clicks away) So the valve is shut and is doing nothing of full throttle. But will agree that it would weaken off the mixture on tickover because it leaks air in then.

But at the end of the day, If your happy with what it does then great 169144-ok.gif. I'll just let people know what they do!

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Were you reading 0-60 or 0-62 though? Did you allow for speedo over-read too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I do 0-60's in my 1,8t Passat (chipped) using Vag-Com to capture speed and time to a spreadsheet. My question is this... is the KPH reading from Vag-Com (directly from ECU) the same as my spedo reading? Just a thought but if you can utilize similar software for a Volvo it makes the process sooo much easier as there is no need for stopwatches and you can keep your hands on the wheel and eye's on the road.

Cheers

Dibley

Hi,

I used VAG COM to log these readings but never thought of what you have just posted. Will the readings nead adjustment to be accurate??

Sooo... that Volvo is loads faster than my Passat.... But thats not to say its a better car.... ok... and it looks nicer from some angles smile.gif maybe its a little tiny bit better !!

I could say my Passat is better at cornering (that would be a lie) Not the best car for cornering at speed.

STOP KNOCKING MY PASSAT !!! Tian

RobK

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've been using the G-Tech kindly loned to me by Thorburn (thanks very much, your a pal), and firstly I have to say it's a great bit of kit. My best time over ten runs was 7.83 secs, not bad eh. Best with the traction control turned off, if you leave it on it can feck with your start. My overall average time was 8.22 seconds. Taking in to account that I'm just a fat old git with a heavy right foot and no finess, I'm happy. Can't wait to get a remap, have to keep it quiet from 'er in doors. sekret.gif

There's a very small clip here, sorry about the lack of quality. 169144-ok.gif

Time Footage

Oh and the manufactures time is 8.8 secs to 60mph. wink.gif

Here is some feedback from a guy who owns a Westfield.

Does it work ?

In short the answer is yes. The device has been tested out in a number of cars apart from the Westfield and it is very consistent and fairly accurate. In general it reads slightly optimistic. This happens because a car pitches under acceleration and braking and the G-tech has no means of compensating for this. The degree of error is dependant on the suspension rate, vehicle weight and centre of gravity height. I determined that the error is approximately 2.5% for a very stiff car like my Westfield, 5% for a GTi type car and 7% for a family saloon

Bargin!!! RRP £129.99

You reckon there is any truth in those error judgements??

I'm not sure where he worked them out from but when I had my car tested my PVW magazine I had the unit fitted and tested it against there GPS (think racelogic) unit, It was about 10th of a second out I have also found this with trying the agaist santa-pod timming gear.

It is allways out for the same car so for comparing before and after chips it great!

The most important thing with using the g-tech unit it. You must make sure you have the unit reading 0 when parked on flat road, and trying to find a road that flat for a 1/4 mile where you can stop can be quite hard!