Boxster S tuning??

DHA

Guy at work has just bought a used Boxster S which has been "tuned" to 300bhp. I would say getting an extra 48bhp from a NA engine is not easy nor cheap. Had a quick sekret.gif at it last night in the car park and the exhaust is standard. Anyone know if they can be tuned this much?

Yes they can be tuned with ease and the difference is quite phenominal!! they come in a rather de-tuned state from new as to not Pi55 more expensive Porsche varients off from traffic lights. We tuned a Boxster s only last week for a guy in Wirral and he could not believe the differance.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes they can be tuned with ease

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you are talking 50bhp here which is no easy task from any NA engine without spending lots of money - I can comprehend gains of 20 or maybe 30 bhp from less restrictive exhaust, airbox, etc, but surely this extra must involve new cams, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

but surely this extra must involve new cams, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of head work too.The only way your gonna see 50 brake extra is by making the engine breath better by porting and polishing etc.(although I'm sure Porsche have done this pretty well themselves)that involves taking the head off,which must then become quite costly.

Exhaust would also be one of the first things to be changed so if it's a standard system then the power will probably be standard aswell.

It's strange with horsepower figures,they have a habit of making you feel good even if they aren't accurate.I remember getting a car dyno'd at 230bhp rather than the 180 that it should have been.The rollers needed recalibrating and were mis-reading by loads.Car drove the same as always,obviously wasn't any quicker than it had been but for a whole week('til we found out about the misread)it just felt soooo much better. grin.gif

I'd be interested to know how much Oral charged this guy for his modifications and what they did.

The man in question had already fitted a sport exhaust some six months previous, but having said that the exhaust and the chip upgrade is all the car has had, We charged him £600.00 total and he was over the moon, so much so he had me return the next day to chip his BMW 330ci (with not quite the same results I must add)The next stage of his development work on the car is for us to fit different exhaust manifolds and sports cats, with this done it then sounds very much like a 360 Ferrari..............so im told.

I don't wanna sound like doubting Thomas here but if it's only had a chip and an exhaust then 50bhp is not gonna be seen.A chip for a N/A car can only make minimal fuel and timing changes.These are normally only to make the car a bit smoother and more efficient,not to get large hp increases.If it had been blown,then that figure would have been no problem with those mods.As it is,if he takes it to the rollers he'll be very disappointed!

Who mentioned 50bhp? as we never had the car on a dyno before or after i am not in a position to comment on figures, only to add this, my personal car is a BMW 540i (normally aspirated)with a very restricted std exhaust with cats and I know for a fact that after we chipped it the Bhp went up by a true 24bhp without changing anything else! ask any Porsche tuners and they will tell you that Boxster S`s have huge potential just by a re map alone, I have heard that some chip tuners are charging £1,500 for this mod!!!!! and they said Dick Turpin was dead!!