Fuel Range GTI

clown

I got 400 miles last week on a tank of BP Ultimate - 97RON. Still looking for a filling station that does Shell Optimax. Not sure if there's going to be much difference between 97 and 98RON. Anyone got views on the likely difference between the two?

Wow, you guys must be blessed, or i'm doing something wrong. I've had mine now about 10 weeks and only get about 280 miles per full tank, and that's even doing an extra 20 miles after the light comes on. The light comes on in mine after about 250 miles. Granted, the majority of my driving is around town, and yes, i do floor it sometimes, but not excessively. I always have the AC on, although i never have the ECON on. BTW, i only use Shell Optimax...Have i got a dudd car??

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, you guys must be blessed, or i'm doing something wrong. I've had mine now about 10 weeks and only get about 280 miles per full tank, and that's even doing an extra 20 miles after the light comes on. The light comes on in mine after about 250 miles. Granted, the majority of my driving is around town, and yes, i do floor it sometimes, but not excessively. I always have the AC on, although i never have the ECON on. BTW, i only use Shell Optimax...Have i got a dudd car??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that if you are just driving normally and don't use low gears all the time or put your foot to the floor every chance you get then yes you have a problem.

I have got over 38mpg on a long journey in my Sportback and my current overall average is 31.8mpg.

Oh and on the great Optimax of not debate. The car is certainly smoother on Optimax but I also get better economy on normal Shell unleaded, due to the way the engine mapping changes with the lower octane rating. I mix of the two or one Optimax and 2 unleaded gets a good balance. 169144-ok.gif

Have had over 400 miles in a tank before now, can't remember exactly how much but remembered it was more than the Lexus but with a smaller tank.

On a long run with an 80ish cruise and unleaded I have got very good MPG hovering around 39mpg. Wasn't trying either there was a fair bit of push and shove on the same journey and minor as well as motorway cruising. 169144-ok.gif

I deffo get less mpg when I use Optimax using the car in exactly the same way, its as if the car runs a little richer some how.

i like you am a little disappointed about the mpg. I seem to be getting around 300 to 320 miles on a tank, but it's nearly all around town, and nearly, but not quite as bad as the V6 4 motion I got rid of. So it's costing about £45 a week for a tank of gas a week.

Not wanting to get into the Optimax debate but I will add a note that the other day I was desperate for petrol with no Shell garage in sight. I filled up with BP ultimate and noticed a slight decrease in performance but the mpg was roughly the same over a 50 mile drive.

I don't see the point in trying to do like for like mpg comparisons as we all drive differently over varying distances and in different conditions. I certainly didn't buy the car to worry about mpg, I bought it to enjoy the driving experience. If I'd wanted to watch mpg I'd have bought a diesel..