Domain Registrations - Help please...

Omi

I want to register a couple of domain names for a prospective business idea, but they already seem to have been registered. - Seems to be one of these spam-happy search pages at the other end (IT bods and heavy web surfers will know what I mean.) - How can I go about taking ownership of the domain name? Purely a case of contacting the administrator on WhoIs?

If that's the only way, are they likely to want me to pay through the nose for a domain that they're only sitting on in case someone ever wants to register it?

I know there was a big court case in 1997 about people pre-registering domain names to infringe exclusivity of big name companies, but as my company isn't in operation yet, I can hardly use that approach!

Any thoughts or ideas? - Changing the domain I'm after isn't an option. wink.gif

Omi, it's basically how you put it. I've just recently purchased a domain from someone for work. Assuming it's a .co.uk then once you've contacted them and agreed price etc you need to get some forms from Nominet to transfer it officially.

One thing to note is although you may own the domain legally, you need to make sure that the DNS tags are transfered too into your control

Graham

http://www.nominet.org.uk/

actually http://www.icann.org/ are in charge of names, internic who then became network solutions havn't had the gig for quite a few years now. I know, i know no one likes a smart arse.

But yeah, short of contacting the person who currently owns it and asking them if they'd like to sell there ain't a lot you can do unless you have an established global trade mark. frown.gif

I had the same issue with tyresmoke.com, just had to wait for it to come up.