optimax or ultimate

davidrouth

which do you think is best BP ultimate or Shell optimax which is best for power and best for mpg. i've only used ultimate so far and as far as mpg goes on the motorway doing 70mph i get just over 40mpg, still running car in so have not been to heavey right footed yet.Has anyone tried both yet.

Can't comment on using either in the Golf (Soon, very soon) grin.gif

But, having used both, Optimax for me definitely has the edge over Ultimate.

I can feel a noticable diiference going from 95 to Optimax 98, where as the Ultimate 97 doesn't feel any different.

As for Mpg, what's that then?!! tongue.gif

40 mpg! You must only just brush the accelerator!

I've done just under 2000 miles now, mostly on Optimax. The one time I used Ultimate I noticed a slight drop in performance but little difference on MPG.

I've not been as gentle with the right foot, my stealer told me there's not much point running them in but just to not labour the engine.

Who cares about MPG, its a GTI, I think I managed 23 on the way home tonight, Love this car.

I don't get Optimax in NI so I'm running on Sainsburys Super Unleaded, seems to work for me. Tried BP Ultimate made no difference apart from increased price.

[ QUOTE ]

which do you think is best BP ultimate or Shell optimax which is best for power and best for mpg. i've only used ultimate so far and as far as mpg goes on the motorway doing 70mph i get just over 40mpg, still running car in so have not been to heavey right footed yet.Has anyone tried both yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look in the A4 forum and the A3 forum as this has been discussed at length in the past.

Basically Optimax is the best all round petrol, its 98 Octane but Ultimate is 97, small difference but seeing as though Opti is the same cost or less go for that if you can.

As for me, I have notice the car being smoother and a little more powerful with Optimax but strangly after several different tests, I deffo get better MPG showing on the DIS with normal Shell Unleaded. Not too sure why this is as in theory the bigger bang from Optimax should make it better, but I think the engine management makes Unleaded run leaner.

A now alternate my fills more or less, I tend to do a lot of motorway driving and the extra power is wasted in long queues, I have Noooo problems keeping up with most things. However for a back lane blast, Opti is the way to go.