delivery times getting faster?

mu71rd

Is there any logic in the idea that GTIs are now taking less time to be delivered? Assuming that there won't ALWAYS be a 5 month waiting list for Golf GTIs, it must start falling eventually.

It seems to me that cars ordered in the first quarter of the year took around 5 months, but I keep reading of people getting their cars sooner and sooner.

I ordered beginning of June - was told November I think, but am quietly hoping for september/october.

wishful thinking?!

I was under the impression demand was getting higher, but then maybe production has been streamlined, also not sure how true this is but I believe there was a production limit for the UK of 5000. I am pretty sure they must be reaching this limit , if this is the case and they begin not to take anymore orders and production would speed up.

But these are all guess's , it could be slower could be quicker.

Info in this forum shows that delivery times are DEFINITELY improving. To add my info....I ordered 3rd week in May and Germany started building Monday 11th July with expected shipping to UK (North of England somewhere) next week and ready for my collection from West Country 'stealer' first week of August at latest.

My GTI is fitted with most, but not all, of the extra factory options.

I heard that the 2005 UK allocation is 6,000 and not 5,000 but either way it's obviously that kind of level and very very small by comparison with other models.

These times are fairly typical i think if the dealer has been honest, i ordered mine 15th April delivery first week July.

Lets be honest If a dealer has an allocation of 3 a month and he takes an order for five then he aint going to turn people away, and hence the sometimes 2 to 3 week delay...

[ QUOTE ]

I heard that the 2005 UK allocation is 6,000 and not 5,000 but either way it's obviously that kind of level and very very small by comparison with other models.

[/ QUOTE ]

those figures are only put in place to whip up a frenzy.

It's a PR stunt. When i rang the dealer he kept calling it the 'Limited Edition GTI'.... Limited Edition my 4rse! VW expect to sell between 5 & 6000 cars, so that's what they limit the car to. In 6 months they'll do the same again. But like the last guy said, are they really going to turn people away? cool.gif

The other thing i find funny is reading about people saying theres such a long wait.

If you order any make/model of car and want factory fitted options it normally states in the leaflets to expect a 10-12week at least wait if its a factory order.

We had to wait for 10 weeks for an Ibiza 1.4SX just because we wanted 2 factory fitted options last year for example.

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer in Cork,Ireland told me i'd be waiting only 8 weeks for delivery(although another rep said this was more likely to be 12 weeks). He mentioned that the wait was as long as 6 months but apparently theyhave added another shift on the GTi production line in Wolfsburg(at least thats where i think he said)

Forgotten where I got this info recently but I hear that VW's senior management in Germany are re-assessing their best course of action due to GTI sales/orders being much greater than expected - on a worldwide basis.

It is therefore quite likely that GTI production will get increased and with improved delivery times....At least, that's the theory.

My word is not gospel! I'm only reporting what I hear. Who knows, VW may decide to maintain allocations but simply increase them. I think it's common knowledge that they had already added another GTI construction lane at Wolfsburg this year.

I don't plan to sell mine for a long while (I haven't even got it!!) but, any road up, who can realistically expect for any car to keep its resale value unless you got a Type 35 Bugatti in yer back yard - but that's another (true) but long story!!

Sam, I ordered mine last week of May....VW started build 11 July....German dockside 22 July (missed the boat!)....Confirmed as actually on ship 1 August (today)....Expected to remain 24hrs in Sheerness....VW Dealer in Dorchester this week....Me driving this next weekend????

That's considerably quicker than late September/early October. Also production time has been reported as improved.

I would definitely keep calling the dealer-stealer to make sure everything is happening as it should. Ask him/her for some specific dates....All VW approved dealers access the same progress report network....The info is there if you can pull it out of them!

Good Luck! The waiting is hell and feels worse as it gets closer!!

Hi Yahoo!....Thanks for the encouragement. I'm always telling others to be positive. I've got to drive (from West Dorset) to M25/M20 area next week and to Oxford the following week - both journeys ideal for 'running in' mileage, so that's probably why I'm getting impatient!

I'm pretty confident she'll arrive in time....I'm sure you can remember a little of what it was like waiting.

Hi Sam....Yes I'll be posting pix but was thinking I would do so after the mods: Milltek Special Quad exhausts in Abt rear valance plus Caractere side valances and graded blue antiglare strip. It'll give everyone something slightly different to look at from the standard car. Mind you I probably won't be able to contain myself next week and post before and after mods!!

I'll certainly post pix of anything fairly new such as the '06 MFS wheel and paddles.

Sam....The thing about waiting for our beloved GTIs to be delivered is that, following our test drive, we are inevitably hooked!! We become hungry (or thirsty if you're a vampire!) for ANY & ALL info we can get on the GTI. We discover web sites like Tyresmoke where we meet others similarly hooked and in need of a daily fix (in my case, hourly!!). We learn all sorts of stuff....from what the latest spec from Deutschland's ashtray covers are made of to where to ramp up the bhp to 250+ via chipping.

I used to have a BMW straight-six and got used to loving and never stopping loving her exhaust tone (personally I think that hearing a little bit of the engine is a driving aid). I'm a musician (among other things) and sound rocks my boat! So, one thing leads to another and I started to consider changing the exhaust. Listened to others here, and Milltek is numero uno for a stainless steel system. I wasn't looking for increased performance but then I fell in love with Milltek's Special Quads (Porsche Cayenne style) which meant I would have to modify the rear valance (to Abt)....then aesthetically the sides would need changing....I thought I could leave the front but I've just seen the Abt front spoiler! HELP!!! I locked Captain Sensible in the Garden Shed before I ordered the car and now I can hear him screaming at me again! Still, I sold something at auction recently which achieved six times its estimate and pays for it ALL! As far as I know, until I get there, you only live once so what the heck! Oh, I also got a cool but unpretentious VW number plate.

As a semi-retired pro designer I've always been critical of the rear treatment of the Mk5 GTI....VW designed the front (or rather nicked Audi's ideas) and didn't bother with the back. So, here I am knowing it won't be long now.

The great thing about the GTI is that it's such an awesome allrounder whether it's 'standard' or modded. I guess that if, or rather when, I carry out the mods she'll look more powerful than she actually is but I am very critical of the lower rear styling. Each to their own....this car is exceptional whichever way we look at it.

Are you getting hungry/thirsty yet? smile.gif

I have avoided visiting this forum since I ordered the car, just to try and get my mind off of it all (I can't concentrate on anything else otherwise!), now I am back I am getting really hungry/thirsty for the car to arrive. Saw one (black on 18s) on my way home from work tonight, it just sounded awesome!

Still, best thing is that the more time goes by, the more convinced I am that I have made the right decision smile.gif

It's DEFINITELY worth the wait and the agony! A friend of mine who regularly changes his cars (cars like TVR, Aston, M5, Porsche....his grandfather used to race Bentleys at Brooklands so it's in his genes! His dad was the same) has experience of many cars built to order and told me that it was such a different and far more rewarding experience. Off-the-shelf just doesn't feel so special or personal to you.

There are too many of us praising the Mk5 GTI....I doubt so much if you'll be disappointed. It won't be perfect but it'll be close! (providing you want a very everyday practical but high performance allrounder).