Dell Laptop

Tomk

Wont boot up suspect it sthe battery or the charger

its a insparon 6000 i think or somethign like that - spairs or repairs seem to go for the £100 mark on ebay , will take £80 ????

P3 700 256mb pd100 sd ram 10gig Hdd Cd/ 14.1 LCD cd caddy and dell leather bag also a licenced copy of win 98 and a copy of xp that is only for evaluation purposes !

right had a further look at the laptop its got to be the powerpack or the battery ( or mo bo but never seen one of those go ) i dont have any spare to test with so sold as spares or repairs ( screen goes on ebay alone for £60 ! ) was working fine 4 months ago , just tried to power it up to sell it frown.gif pm me asap if not its being ebay'd at the weekend ! just want rid!

The Latitude's will boot up without a battery inserted so it won't be the battery. If you plug the charger in and switch the plug on, you'll get a light on the laptop - does this appear? I think the charger itself should have a green light on it aswell.

If the charger has a green light, but there is no light on the laptop, then it's likely to be something internal. If there is no light fitted, leave it on for an hour and see if it gets warm, which indicates it's working.

Also if you pull the battery out they normally have a "test" button on the back which shows you some lights indicating how much charge is left in. If this has some charge, it means the mobo has probably died. If it has no charge, then it means the power supply is not reaching the battery so likely to be a less serious fault.

Shame you aren't closer to manchester, I've got 4 spare latitudes sitting on my desk, a few batteries, a few power supplies, etc...!

ok dont the batt check thing , the lights dont move , the power supply light goes green when you plug it in , but when you plug it in the laptop the light goes out ? any ideas ? i need to sell it this week regardless but if its working its worth a lot more !

If the charger light is going out when you plug it in to the laptop, it's very possible the power supply that's faulty. It could be the laptop that's somehow shorting out the connection, but my money would be on the power supply. Don't hold me to that though as I've never had it happen to me, but power supplies do sometimes fail - and it's more logical than the laptop suddenly shorting out the connection.

cheers jon just bought one off ebay for £5 ( without the chord ) so will try that ! from my experiace with laptops its always the powersupply or the batt , did not know dells work without the batt in so its prob the powersupply !