MP3 Player - RNS-E

Advice needed.

The RNS-E Sat Nav has two memory slots for the inbuilt mp3 player. The manual says it can take a maximum of 2 x 256mb cards, although you can use smaller ones. There are posts on the site that claim to be using up to 1gb cards sucessfully. A 1gb card will hold about 16cd's whereas a 256mb will only hold 4 cd's.

I purchased a 1gb card, but if I put on more than 4 cd's so that it takes it over 256mb the sat nav corrupts the data and it wont play. The only thing that seems to be different to other postee's is that I am only using 1 card. Does anyone have any solution???

Matterless

Thanks for your comments. After the data became corrupted I could not remove the files with windows explorer as it would not read them. Eventually I formatted the card using a digital camera. Is this fat or fat32 - in fact what are they?

What is the correct way to format the card?

Matterless

Thanks for the tip

I did a right click format and had the choice of fat or fat32, I formatted at fat32 and the same thing happened. ok up to 256mb then after that the data became corrupt and the file unreadable. I am out at "the hop" in about 10 mins so I haven't got time to try formatting at fat.

I will keep you posted but I dont hold out much hope!!!!!

Matterless

The sat nav came with the car and is only 4mths old so I assume it is the latest version. The part no is 8P0 919 884 C which I think is the audi part no. Another part no on the disk is T1000-8832.

I was talking to a guy in the pub last night who is a bit of a computer buff. After explaining the problem to him he offered two suggestions. He reckoned that as the sat nav manual does say it will take up to 256mb, the hardware will not "address" anything more than that, unless.... The manufacturer has released a firmware update. This seems unlikely as my unit is relatively new, or the characteristics of the 1gb cards are different due to manufacturing methods and the sat nav will read some cards and not others. My card is a 1gb SanDisk, is anyone using the same type that works or if not, who is the manufacturer of the card that is working.

Regards

Matterless

I have the same disk as you in my RNS-E and I think most other people do too. that is the 2005 disk.

As for your mate, he's wrong and he's right, some devices cannot address more than they are designed for, but we are lead to believe the SD slots can address 8GB cards, so the 256MB ones should be fine, as most people on here have 1GB cards, it proves it can handle bigger cards.

Lastly, I have Sandisk cards, 2x 1GB and they work great. I didn't have to format them at all, just dumped tunes onto them and they work. Have you tried putting the files into directories for each album so the top level is not too cluttered with file names.

Album 1

> track 1

> track 2

> track n

Album 2

etc

[ QUOTE ]

My card is a 1gb SanDisk, is anyone using the same type that works or if not, who is the manufacturer of the card that is working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had problems getting a Viking-badged 1GB card to work in my RNS-E - it reports 'Data corrupted'. I use the card in a portable MP3 player, and haven't tried reformatting it yet.

However, a Hingston-badged 512MB card is working just fine in the RNS-E.

[ QUOTE ]

I've had problems getting a Viking-badged 1GB card to work in my RNS-E - it reports 'Data corrupted'. I use the card in a portable MP3 player, and haven't tried reformatting it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I've reformatted the card, and put all the same files back on it. It now works perfectly well in the RNS-E! smile.gif

I rang the stealer today to explain my problem with it not apparently addressing more than 256mb of the 1gb card. I think my chances of anything from them is remote as the RNS-E manual only claims to use up to a 256mb card in each of the two slots. However he promised to look into it and ring me back.

I "tested" the 1gb card in her indoors digi camera - can you image how long and how boring it is to fill the card with pics (1090). Anyway after my finger clicking test I successfully downloaded the pics onto the pc (then deleted them all). That seems to prove to me that the "fault" is within the RNS-E unit. But as it does what it claims to do in the manual I cant see Audi doing anything about it.

Matterless

After about the 5th attempt I finally did it. Some info for future reference -

The RNS-E manual says format to FAT or FAT32. Files and folder names no longer than 64 charactrs. MP3 player supports bit rates of 32-320kbit/s. Each medium (card?) is limited to 400 files and 256 file folders. That might put an upper limit on the size card you could use.

Why did I have trouble originally? I think it could have been the convuluted way I did it. I ripped the track downstairs, transferred it on to a 128mb USB Flash Drive. Then took it upstairs to my daughters PC, then transferred from USB Flash Drive to secure digital card via her card reader. Down to A6 Avant and pop in. (8 times to fill a 1gb card). I cut out the upstairs exercise and the USB flash drive by getting a cheap card reader and doing it all on the one pc and taking more time by leaving it a couple of seconds after each action to make sure it was fully completed. I suspect all that in and outing corrupted the file. The moral is more haste less speed.

Anyway now it works I have ordered another 1gb card to fill the other slot. Funny thing is I usually listen to five live while I am up and about!!!

Thanks for your help and advice

Matterless