New car

Jennifer

I am shortly going to receive my new MK5 GTi Diamond Black and want to know what is the best stuff to use to clean/wax/polish it. I want to reduce the chances of putting swirls in the paint work.

I intend to wash the car once a week.( well at least until the novelty wears off) and need something that doesn't take too long. I want to spend most of the weekend driving it not cleaning it!

I also don't want to have to spend an absolute fortune, having said that I am not a cheapskate. I am considering a pressure washer but I am more than happy to use a bucket and sponge. The pressure washer is to get the cr*p off from around the wheel arches.

What is the best stuff to use on the alloys? I am currently using wonderwheels on my MK1V and I am not that impressed with its ability ( or lack of) to get tar spots off.

Any advise is appreicated.

Thanks

Like you, I'm collecting my GTi soon.

I'm going the spend time and money route however as I don't mind putting the work in if I can keep her looking Beautiful. laugh.gif

Speaking to the helpful people at meguiar's, they've recommemnded their NXT Wash, then NXT wax.

The cost isn't too ott and you get plenty for the money.

The NXT system is meant to be perfect for Dark Metalics like ours and leaves the paintwork swirl free.

I normally use a Karcher pressure washer on mine, which they don't recommend for the bodywork incidentally.

As for the alloys, I used to use Wonderwheels and thought it was pretty good, but have bought some of the Megs type as well to give that a go.

Happy cleaning!! 169144-ok.gif

To avoid swirls, first of all lose the sponges!

Get yourself a lambswool washmitt, some decent quality shampoo, a good synthetic wax (Meguiars Gold Class, NXt, Autoglym Super Resin etc), some decent glass cleaner and maybe Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer (leaves all the plastic nice and matt), plus whichever tyre dressing floats your boat.

Don't bother with a wheel cleaner unless your alloys are black - use some wax on them and if you're initially washing weekly, make up some shampoo with double the quantity - it'll work a treat!

I reckon that'd set you back £50-60 tops and it'll last ages.

Don't get a pressure washer either - waste of time IMHO

If time is of the essence, you could always consider the flash car cleaning kit for 3 washes per month then use the likes of megs for your super duper monthly clean!

The flash kit comes with a water filtration kit and means you don't have to chamois down after hosing off. Seems to get reasonably favourable reviews.

I'll probably get slated by all the connoisseurs in here now 169144-ok.gif

Not at all mate - I saw the results from this firsthand the other night and I'm getting myself one tomorrow - will do until I get an inline filter.

The only thing I'd say is that I was told that the shampoo wasn't up to much and Gold Class works better.

Try Ultra Deep Shine from Autoglym.

I've been using Meguiars for a couple of years now but this beats most stuff hands down for a 'one stop' product.

Might not be as good as separate clean, polish and wax but its a whole lot easier. Better than Gold Class on a black car. Haven't tried the NXT stuff myself though.