Richard Burns

Wallachie

Last I read about him was in May (I think), and at the time he was recovering from surgery. I believe he was having chemotherapy, but that they had to operate after his health deteriorated.

Maybe someone else will have some more recent news?

[ QUOTE ]

Hope he recovers OK and returns to WRC, we need a Brit up there fighting for the title again!

[/ QUOTE ]

From the manner of update I heard I think that's highly unlikely. I don't think they're expecting him to resume his racing career, certainly not in WRC anyway.

• 1 month later...

An update for you all -

From www.autosport-atlas.com

Former World Rally Champion Richard Burns made a surprise appearance at Rallyday 2005, which took place at Castle Combe Circuit last weekend.

It was only the second public appearance for the 2001 world champion since he was diagnosed with a brain tumour just before the 2003 Wales Rally GB.

Although confined to a wheelchair, Burns was a passenger in Robert Reid's road-going BMW X5 to lead a procession of his rally cars around the track.

"A lot of the cars that attended the event last year but there were some that weren't restored or ready in time," Reid told Motorsport News. "We thought it would be a nice touch to get them altogether for the first time at Castle Combe and give Richard a day he'll remember."

Among the cars wheeled out were the Subaru Impreza Burns used to win the WRC crown on the 2001 Wales Rally GB.

But Reid said the highlight of Burn's day was seeing the Elonex-sponsored Gp A Subaru Legacy used to win the British Rally championship in 1993. Reid added: "Richard thoroughly enjoyed that car.

"When we saw Alister McRae going off the line with lots of spray coming off the wheels and five-foot flames coming out of the exhaust, it brought back a lot of special memories."

It was a tragedy for Richard Burns, such a talented guy, I don't think he had reached his full potential.

Just a reminder that the big C can get anyone anytime.

Glad to see he is still alive, i wonder if he'll make a full recovery and set the rally world on fire again?