S8 on eBay

cruiser647

[ QUOTE ]

What was wrong with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no expert in car inspections, so I would stress that these opinions are only my individual observations.

The company has had this car for some months. I saw it in April. I didn't drive it, merely looked it over and started the engine. It appeared to me to have had paint respray on several panels. Several pieces of interior trim were loose or in the case of the centre armrest assembly missing entirely. The engine sounded rough (it was several weeks ago, so I can't remember exactly, but I think I noted top end noise) and it sounded like the exhaust manifold was blowing.

There were enough concerns there to make me walk away.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's an R reg with 100,000 miles though, and people don't buy an S8 to drive round at 20mph in...!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, xc90, you've lost me there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean that the faults you've highlighted seem fairly consistent with a car of that age and mileage, it's hardly going to be pristine condition. People buy a car like that to hammer, so it's bound to be tatty and "well used".

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's an R reg with 100,000 miles though, and people don't buy an S8 to drive round at 20mph in...!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, xc90, you've lost me there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean that the faults you've highlighted seem fairly consistent with a car of that age and mileage, it's hardly going to be pristine condition. People buy a car like that to hammer, so it's bound to be tatty and "well used".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry xc, don't agree with this comment at all. S8's are not your gti or turbo hatchback, so generally aren't purchased by people wanting to hammer them. My car has now done 135k, and I think it's in pretty good nick 169144-ok.gif

I agree Bump.......its a cruiser, and as far as mileage goes(enginewise!) it'll go around the world with proper servicing, it is a V8 after all, one thing I would say that the P/W ratio isn't very good......first time I drove one I thought it was gutless for 300bhp, but then I was used to V8's in Mustangs/Cuda's etc and they were modified for Drag Racing and not carrying around 4x4 etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see what you mean. While I agree those faults are the sort of things one would expect to start appearing on cars of that age/mileage, that doesn't mean one should settle for a car that has them. The sorts of problems described are good indicators of how well a car has been looked after, since a 7 year old/100,000 mile car doesn't *have* to have those faults purely by dint of its age or mileage.

I may have been spoiled by my Subaru, which has never had a major fault, and never needed any paint or body repair in its 13 years and 185000 miles, but I would certainly steer clear of a car with obvious mechanical/body faults or big bits of trim missing.

I also wouldn't necessarily class the S8 as a car bought to be hammered. I myself recognise that the car's limits far exceed my own, and drive well within the car's performance limits. Mostly. wink.gif