Painting garage roof?

cheechy

Ok I've now got a garage - its great!

Unfortunately I've learned from a neighbour that the cement fibre roof sheets can cause a problem with condensation. Not a problem at the moment but may well be come Autumn and winter time.

They had said that they had painted theirs but weren't too sure if they had done it correctly.

The question here is has anyone on here tried painting a cement fibre roof and if so what do you need to use and do. Prime first then paint or one paint?

I'm confused. confused.gif

p.s. I've got an apex roof.

Gotcha.

As you say I would wait and see what happens. People can get condensation in roof spaces in lofts and this is due to the fact that they have put too much insulation into them blocking the eaves of have no breather tiles, they are not meant to be air tight, far from it.

Just ensure that this isn't the case and air can get in and out in sufficient places, not excesively obviously and you shouldn't get any problems. 169144-ok.gif

I dont see what benefit painting it will give you regarding condensation, obviously condensation occurs as Air reaches its dew point and becomes saturated with moisture (an explanation of it for buidlings can be seen here.

I dont see how painting it is goign to move this condensation point - or am I missing your question?

No shao I dont think you are - I was really almost thinking aloud as you are indeed correct. In fact I'd harard a guess that painting would actually mean that condensation would be worse as the porous attributes of the cement fibre would be lost due to the external coating.

Thanks for the input guys 169144-ok.gif

Well thats exactly what I was thinking you have a couple of scenarios;

Paint the inside, condensation runs freely down the roof to a low point where it can escape.

Paint the outside and potentially prevent any evapouration through the material, makign it worse inside

Paint both side and run the risk of the condensation occuring within the matterial which I cant imagine doing the material any good.

IN fact if you look at the technical datasheets on the Eternit site Eternit Profile 3 cement fibre it doesnt mention a need to paint.